UNT

justanotherperson

Hi,

I'm not a sociology major but my boyfriend is, and we're trying to go to the same school. It looks like University of North Texas, though quite good in political science (IR subfield), is virtually unknown in sociology? Does anybody know about the program, its reputation, etc? Would a sociology phD from UNT be a death sentence?

Any kind of comment will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

I have never heard of the school nor anything about the program. I don't even think it is ranked. However, I guess to gauge whether it is a "death sentence" would be for your boyfriend to ask himself where he would like to work post-graduate school.

Their recent PhD job placements are here:

http://pacs.unt.edu/.../phd-placements

Would your boyfriend be find at a university similar to those when he is done with his PhD?

Edited by barilcious

• 2 weeks later...

I actually attended UNT as an undergrad and did quite well (two national fellowships). UNT's sociology program is unranked which is an obstacle. Recently, there has been a focus on hiring more prestigious and qualified faculty, such as Gabe Ignatow from Stanford, who is very approachable and enjoys working with graduate students. If you went there, you would have to publish a lot to overcome going to an unranked school but it is do-able. Still, i'd try and find a school that is ranked for both programs if you and your boyfriend have the credentials to get in.

If you get serious about applying there, i'd definitely make sure there is faculty there he would like to work with. He would have to publish to do well.