GPA on Applications

Okay, I'm going to try to simplify my question. I am probably over-thinking this, but I am finding myself doing that with pretty much every aspect of this process.

So, on the applications, it asks you to list the schools you attended, and it asks you to list your GPA. As an undergrad, I went to a school for two years, did terrible, wanted to change majors but wasn't sure to what, so I took a year and a half off. When I finally figured everything out, I decided to go to a community college to get my GPA up so I could transfer easier, and I got my Associates and then transferred to a university where I went for two years and got my Associates (I want to note that after my year and a half break, I did not receive less than an A in any class ever again--I picked the right major this time!). Now, my graduating GPA, the cumulative GPA on my transcript from that university, only includes the GPA of the classes I took there, which is a 3.9. As most of you know, when you transfer, they take the credits of those classes from other institutions, but they don't count towards your GPA. So, I'm a little nervous because I am assuming I am supposed to put 3.9 for my GPA because that's what it says on my transcript, and that's what I got, but I'm a little nervous that they will see the transcript and see a few of the transfer grades that were less than A's and wonder why I put 3.9 as my GPA (although I don't know what other number I could put because I have no idea what my GPA would be taking into consideration my other classes from the other institutions, especially since I don't know if they would have me figure it out of just the classes that transferred or out of all the hours attempted.....see, here I go....)

So basically, what I'm asking is, when it asks for my GPA from that undergrad university, I should put the 3.9, correct?

That is correct. I took a semester off during undergrad to clear my mind and figure out my major and went to community college. Those courses transferred back to my school, but the grades did not (so it actually hurt me). You have to list your GPA for each school, so your undergrad that you graduated from was a 3.9. If the schools do not require grades from a school you didn't get a degree from, I would not list the first one since you didn't actually graduate. But you will need to list the community college and send that transcript because you received a degree from there.

Thanks! But that's the other thing I'm confused about. For example, the Emory application, under the education section, says to list all post secondary schools I attended, so I assumed that included the first school that I left. Then, though, where you put in the schools, it says "list all the schools where you received a degree." Blech. Which do they want?

I have a feeling I am probably just going to end up having to contact Emory because there are a few weird things on their apps that I'm not sure about...

This process is so frustrating!

It is frustrating. I applied to Emory last year and got absolutely no help when I called about my GRE scores not posting. Grad office sent me to English department and English department sent me to Grad office...it was obnoxious. I'm pretty sure I wound up putting all schools I attended on their application last year, but it is kind of foggy. Calling would be best. The online app they were using was new last year, so maybe they have more answers this year.

Yeah, that whole "list all post-secondary schools" thing is bugging me too--I technically went to 4 different schools, but all of that coursework (including class names and grades) is on my final transcript from the school where I got my degree. And one of the schools was a study abroad--I have no clue how to go about requesting a transcript from that school. Would these schools expect them anyway? Grrr...

You usually don't need to list schools for a study abroad if the grade shows on the transcript of your degree-granting institution. None of the 20 or so schools I've applied to between MA and Ph.D. required it for me anyway. I'd contact your programs and ask.