Best programs for International Policy, then Phd

petkovic

Hello,

I'm applying to masters programs looking to work for an international organization (World Bank, UN, UNCTAD), then pursue a Phd (HKS, Urban Studies at MIT). I'm applying to SIPA, WWS, IPS/Stanford, SAIS, Ford, Sanford, GSPP. What would be the most suitable programs for these goals? Any other suggestions?

Edited by petkovic

I don't think it matters on the whole. Only thing I'd recommend is looking at programs that offer opportunities to take courses in quantitative methodology if you're going into a field that requires a good basis in that.

I would suggest the one that will give you the most research experience (i.e. thesis and RA opportunities). So from that list I would cross off SAIS and SIPA. Also, not sure how much the work experience at the WB or UN will help you with admission to PhD unless it is in the stats department or research department.

good luck!

I would suggest the one that will give you the most research experience (i.e. thesis and RA opportunities). So from that list I would cross off SAIS and SIPA. Also, not sure how much the work experience at the WB or UN will help you with admission to PhD unless it is in the stats department or research department.

good luck!

Yeah I also am a little unclear on how a MPP and professional job would transition into a PHD. Most MPP or MPA programs are *very* job-oriented: their goal is to get you working in the government, NGOs, etc., not academia. The curriculum reflects that - it is much more policy, real-world oriented and is missing a lot of the theoretical depth found in a PHD program (or MA specifically designed to bridge into PHD). I think it would be quite tough to jump into any PHD program, let alone an incredibly high-pressure at Harvard, with minimal training in the kind of academic work you'll be doing. Not saying it can't be done, but sounds pretty tough.

OP, have you thought about maybe going for a more academic masters, like a MA in IR, Political Science, Economics, etc.? Or trying to get your desired work experience now (with just a bachelors), and then doing a combined MA/PHD program later? Both of these options seem like they would give you more preparation for the PHD.

Edited by MYRNIST

Sorry I didn't make it clear from the start, but I already have a Masters in Economics. Phds in departments such as HKS and Urban Studies/MIT have high regard for professional experience in the development field, hence my idea of working at WB or UN (I already work at the Brazilian Development Bank, BNDES, which is larger than the WB, only behind the Chinese). A MPP/MIA would be the best step towards that, I think. Also, my masters would be geared towards economics/more academic disciplines, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

sounds like you already made up your mind that you want to work at the UN or WB - which is far from guaranteed regardless of what school you go to - but based off my experiences, SAIS or WWS are the best way to go. WWS, well, because it is the best and SAIS because they have crazy connections in DC. I would say SIPA is good, but it is gonna cost you way too much.