How to ask for $$$?

numbereight

Hi Everyone,

I recently received an offer from a professional psychology school (Ph.D. clinical psychology). It's a research 1st, clinical work 2nd type of program. The school is very expensive. I would be interested in going there if they gave me financial support. However, if no/little support is available I would probably have to choose any other program that I am accepted to, as they all provide considerable support to students. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can communicate the message "I am interested, but I need $"? The POI called me and let me know that they would be offering me admission (w/o interview). Our interests mesh well and I think that the POI values my skills and background. It seems like a good match. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I declined an acceptance w/o funding last year by saying, "I have thoroughly researched the aid options available throughout the university, and unfortunately, for financial reasons, I am obligated to decline the offer of admission at this time." They were VERY understanding - they know that funding plays a MAJOR role in which school you choose.

Lesson to all: if you applied to any depts that don't guarantee funding for all, NOW is the time to apply for scholarships at those places. Most scholarship app deadlines are April 1st, so you might not want to wait until you are already accepted.

I declined an acceptance w/o funding last year by saying, "I have thoroughly researched the aid options available throughout the university, and unfortunately, for financial reasons, I am obligated to decline the offer of admission at this time." They were VERY understanding - they know that funding plays a MAJOR role in which school you choose.

Lesson to all: if you applied to any depts that don't guarantee funding for all, NOW is the time to apply for scholarships at those places. Most scholarship app deadlines are April 1st, so you might not want to wait until you are already accepted.

Not to mention that folks should be filling out the FAFSA and including all prospective schools asap. As soon as W2s start rolling in.