re-take or no?

Double Dawg

I am applying to the Organizational Science phd program at UNC Charlotte. It is an interdisciplinary program that blends aspects of communication and business. From a background standpoint I feel pretty good. I have an undergraduate degree (2.9 gpa) w/ a major in communication and a MBA from a top 50 business school (3.77 gpa). I also have 10 years of work experience in the technology industry, which pairs well with my research interests (the virtual office environment, mobile technology, and ICT). I am a bit concerned that my GRE may be too low however - Q+V = 1140.

Any insight or feed back you can share is appreciated.

Thanks!

The masters GPA I think will definitely help when it comes to that aspect of the application. As far as the GRE and other aspects of the application, you are going into a field that will value a lot more practical experience than almost anything. While you may see the GRE as low I would say it never hurts to ask if they have average GRE score for previous admits just to give you a little more comfort.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with orst11. Your scores are not so terribly low. An MBA and significant work experience is strong. If you can get past the dredded "cut off" I'm sure no program will go back and consider the GRE scores once they start evaluating your substantive application.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasnt able to determine a "cut off" per se, but I did learn that the average score is closer to 1250 range. At this point, I think that my efforts are better served strengthening other areas of my appplication rather than re-taking the test (which is now an entirely new format and score). I would imagine that with different applicants turning in differrent score formats, the GRE would carry less weight than in previous years... maybe that is just wishfull thinking on my end though! I hope the decision does not come back to haunt me.