NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

Your stats are good. I am afraid I have to accept the same fate tomorrow.

By the way, which dept. in engineering are you from, if you don't mind?

Your stats are good. I am afraid I have to accept the same fate tomorrow.

By the way, which dept. in engineering are you from, if you don't mind?

Electrical and Computer Engineering...

CGS-M at UofA here... Department just emailed me. Results are in!

Congrats! Can u tell me which department are u in?

Congrats! And congrats to your department administrative staff for staying after 4! :D

Contacted by the department...I got a reject for NSERC PGS/CGS.... :( :( I m soo disappointed!. I strted PhD in 2011 (transfer frm Master)... had 8 publs, 5 conf, 1 journal 2 as a chapters in book...

Impossible. wowwwwwwwww dont believe it

My supervisor is in the committte in NSERC and told me that conference paper do not mean a lot. To have a a PGS-D, you must have at least 1 paper as first author unless your grades in bachelor are eceptionnal (more than 3.9/4) with good leadership and communication skills.

My supervisor is in the committte in NSERC and told me that conference paper do not mean a lot. To have a a PGS-D, you must have at least 1 paper as first author unless your grades in bachelor are eceptionnal (more than 3.9/4) with good leadership and communication skills.

The girl in the department show me the letter sent by NSERC to them; This year only 270 CGS-D were awarded

PGS-D in British Columbia. I think I'll turn it down for the Vanier offer I got this morning... what do you guys think :D

Very strange. You win Vanier and you have PGS and not CGS ???

PGS-D in British Columbia. I think I'll turn it down for the Vanier offer I got this morning... what do you guys think :D

Haha congrats! You just made a waitlisted applicant very happy!

The girl in the department show me the letter sent by NSERC to them; This year only 270 CGS-D were awarded

Last year there were 291 CGS-Ds, it means almost ~7% cut, definitely it is gonna hurt some of us:((

This is about the same number offered in 2010 and 2011. So I guess we might expect similar results for other awards such as PDF.

Last year 285 CGS-Ds were awarded, so it's not a significant decrease.

Very strange. You win Vanier and you have PGS and not CGS ???

I'm not surprised actually - I think it is because of the weighting of the categories. Research is more heavily weighted for PGS/CGS D than Vanier, and I am weaker in research than leadership. I had no first author publications accepted at the time of application, only 2 with co-authors, and some collaborations with government and international researchers, but my manuscripts are just on their way now. I think if I had been applying a year later, I would have gotten CGS instead.

I'm not surprised actually - I think it is because of the weighting of the categories. Research is more heavily weighted for PGS/CGS D than Vanier, and I am weaker in research than leadership. I had no first author publications accepted at the time of application, only 2 with co-authors, and some collaborations with government and international researchers, but my manuscripts are just on their way now. I think if I had been applying a year later, I would have gotten CGS instead.

Congratulation ! Clarrien ? You deserve it .

I'd personally be shocked if it were that simple....Especially because colleagues of mine at McGill were awarded a PGS-D without having a 1st author paper in years past.