Sociology of Education Programs Question

michigan girl

At what level, Masters or Doctorate? At some schools, the difference is quite pronounced. Are you interested in learning more about the topic in general, and how to apply the concepts...or are you more interested in doing independent research in that field?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am interested in the Sociology of Education (K-16, race/ethnicity, urban/community, diversity, ed reform).

What do you know about each program? In your opinion, which one is the best in those areas?

Columbia

Harvard

Michigan

Penn

I'm applying to Penn GSE & Columbia as well with the same focus. I got my masters at Penn. One great thing is that they have really close connections with the Phila School District so that will provide you with opportunities to do research in a large urban school district. They also have a joint PhD with the sociology dept.....Dr. Annette Lareau is amazing and could add another dimension to your education studies....

I was considering Harvard but I felt like they might not be as interested in urban education. Who did you list as possible advisors? I felt like there was maybe one person and everyone else was kind of a stretch.

• 1 month later...

I'm applying to Penn GSE & Columbia as well with the same focus. I got my masters at Penn. One great thing is that they have really close connections with the Phila School District so that will provide you with opportunities to do research in a large urban school district. They also have a joint PhD with the sociology dept.....Dr. Annette Lareau is amazing and could add another dimension to your education studies....

This is good to know. Thanks for sharing!