What kind of GPA should I expect to have if I want to get tuition waiver for Graduate

school?

My major is Electrical Engineering. I plan on specializing in Power. Currently in junior year with a GPA of 3.52. No co-op or research experience. My current school's engineering program is ranked by usnews as 110-140

My ideal would be to get into a U.C (davis, irvine level school) school with tuition waiver for a M.S in electrical engineering. I plan on graduating in 4 years with no work experience. Can I expect my ideal to come true given the above circumstances?

What score should I aim above on the GRE exam?

My family is very poor and international as well so no FAFSA. so I NEED tuition waiver for grad school.

Thanks

Edited by machpunch777

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Your GPA is good for Ph.D program. Most schools seldomly give out Assistantship to International Students for Master program. What you should do is to keep up your GPA, but you should concentrate more the research aspect. Get some research experience this summer. Find out the professors at the schools you want to get into, get familiar with their research and contact them. You can have a 3.8 GPA but no clear interests on research, you still can get rejection. In graduate school, its all about research, and knowing what you want in your research. Even your recommendation letters should reflect the major aspects of your academic ability: as a student and as a researcher. Hope this help

• 2 months later...

I have not experience in the electrical engineering field, however, I can attest to the importance of research. Before I earned my master's degree (mathematics), I developed a good rapport with my thesis advisor. She said she was impressed with my ability to do independent research, so she wrote a recommendation letter to the 2 schools I applied for (Phd programs). I received a full ride with stipend from one of the schools. So, I have to agree with petermathi1-do research!