Political Theory

IgnorantVeil

I think that choosing an advisor has a lot to do with whether or not the personal and power dynamic feels right, so I can't say for sure.  But Patchen Markell is the thinker who first drew me to Chicago because of this work on Arendt.  I'm eager to meet Linda Zerilli, Sankar Muthu, Jennifer Pitts, and Robert Pippin. How about you?

New to the forum but it appears you folks are well on your way. The season has been rewarding for me, as well. I'm a Northwestern admit. And it appears that UW Seattle and UCLA are very promising, though nothing is official yet. We will see what comes of Cornell, UVA, and Yale. My broad interests are in History of Political Thought (Modern to Contemporary), with particular interest in questions of race and domination. Lately, I've been working through Dewey and Du Bois. 

Hoping the good news will keep rolling in. :) 

Nice to meet you, theoristo, and glad the cycle is treating you well!  I hope we hear from UCLA officially over the next few days...should be sometime next week, at least.  I'm also looking for programs that take questions of race seriously; my own focus is on South African legal theory and culture.  

Good luck with it all!

Nice to meet you, theoristo, and glad the cycle is treating you well!  I hope we hear from UCLA officially over the next few days...should be sometime next week, at least.  I'm also looking for programs that take questions of race seriously; my own focus is on South African legal theory and culture.  

Good luck with it all!

Chicago is certainly one of those programs. And I hear Markell is among the best as far as mentors go. Who are you interested in working with at UCLA? 

Edited by theoristo

Chicago is certainly one of those programs. And I hear Markell is among the best as far as mentors go. Who are you interested in working with at UCLA? 

Yeah, it will be really cool to meet him in person!  At UCLA, I'm hoping to work with Panagia and perhaps Dienstag.  There are lots of strong faculty there!  How about you?

Yeah, it will be really cool to meet him in person!  At UCLA, I'm hoping to work with Panagia and perhaps Dienstag.  There are lots of strong faculty there!  How about you?

Very strong! I'm thinking about Rogers and Panagia. 

Hey everybody! I'm a bit late to the game here, but I'm also applying this cycle for theory / history of political thought.

Ancient and early modern political philosophy is my jam; much of my undergrad work was on Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Thucydides, and Xenophon on the ancient side, and Machiavelli, Bacon, and Descartes on the early modern side. I'm fascinated by what one might call the origins of modernity and the "modern proejct" — what it is, how it came to be, how it is related to what came before it, etc.

NMLogan — congrats on the Chicago admit! It is quite the program, so far as I can tell.

Facade19 — without pigeonholing myself too much, I'll say that I am very sympathetic to your description of political esotericism. Are you hoping to study one of your "triumphant triumvirate" in detail? Or look at themes consistent among them?

theoristo — congrats on the Northwestern admit! If I may ask: who are you hoping to work with at Yale?

Hey everybody! I'm a bit late to the game here, but I'm also applying this cycle for theory / history of political thought.

Ancient and early modern political philosophy is my jam; much of my undergrad work was on Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Thucydides, and Xenophon on the ancient side, and Machiavelli, Bacon, and Descartes on the early modern side. I'm fascinated by what one might call the origins of modernity and the "modern proejct" — what it is, how it came to be, how it is related to what came before it, etc.

NMLogan — congrats on the Chicago admit! It is quite the program, so far as I can tell.

Facade19 — without pigeonholing myself too much, I'll say that I am very sympathetic to your description of political esotericism. Are you hoping to study one of your "triumphant triumvirate" in detail? Or look at themes consistent among them?

theoristo — congrats on the Northwestern admit! If I may ask: who are you hoping to work with at Yale?

Hey, thanks and nice to meet you :)  We have a similar interest in the origins of modernity and, it sounds like, the ways in which ancient thought is invoked and used by modern thinkers!  Chicago just hired a few new theorists who focus on ancient political theory and philosophy, which is exciting.  Do you read in Greek?

Garsten or Shapiro. 

greekfire55, hope you are well. 

I am sorry for the delayed reply but I was just trying to keep myself occupied. 

As for your question, if given the opportunity, I would like to study the general themes consistent between these thinkers, the objectives they had in mind in writing and the overall techniques employed by theme. I know these inchoate ideas are still very ambivalent, but after having read Prof. Melzer's "Philosophy Between the Lines" and being exposed to "Straussian" method of reading, I would find a very joyful career in pursuing this areas if given the chance to do so.