Including coursework on cv/resume

the defenestration

I have 4-5 courses that I would like to include on my resume for grad schools. These are the courses that influenced me the most or that helped me develop relevant skills. I am just not sure how much detail to go into. They already have a list of my courses on my transcripts, so I think it should be more than just a list. Any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe 3 bullet point each, to name the professor, give an overview of the content, and mention any special projects. Is this going into too much detail?

I asked a professor about this recently, and he said definitely no descriptions (apparently no one on the admissions committee wants to/will read them. It wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for, but at least it was an answer.

The way I prefer to do it is to list them under the skills and experience section of the resume as a few bulk points aimed at showing what Ingot out of a course. It's also possible to discuss them in your SoP.

That said, I really don't think many adcoms care much about advanced coursework.

I met with the graduate coordinator from the university I received my MA from and she told me not to put any classes on the CV. If there are classes that influenced you, they should be in your statement of purpose.

I listed selected coursework on my CV, but only because I wanted to show adcoms that despite having earned my MA in literature, I was still coming into a PhD in rhetoric and composition with relevant coursework.

Check whether the application websites allow you to upload any additional/supplemental materials in support of your application. I submitted a course list (name/instructor/short description of content for classes with vague names like "seminar in linguistics") as a supplemental document in some applications that required it. I don't think a course list belongs on a CV/resume, though. If there are specific courses that influenced your scholarship, you should mention them in your SOP.

Edited by fuzzylogician

I have 4-5 courses that I would like to include on my resume for grad schools. These are the courses that influenced me the most or that helped me develop relevant skills. I am just not sure how much detail to go into. They already have a list of my courses on my transcripts, so I think it should be more than just a list. Any thoughts? I'm thinking maybe 3 bullet point each, to name the professor, give an overview of the content, and mention any special projects. Is this going into too much detail?

IMO, this information can (and should) be conveyed in your SoP.

MOO, unless you played a key role in developing or teaching a class, or the successful completion of that course translates into some sort of certification, you should not put that class in your CV.

YMMV.