Bad GPA (UG and Masters), decent GRE, three years work, odds of Phd in Social work and Economics at Michigan University

kphd

Hi!

I have a GPA of around 2-2.5. in both undergrad (commerce, business, accounting) and Masters (Economics). I have a decent GRE score of above 1400, quant - 720-800 and verbal 700-800. Final score will be available in mid-november. I have almost 3 years of work experience as an Researcher on Infrastructure (and good LORs from work). What are my odds of getting into phd in Social work and economics at U.Michigan Ann Arbor.

Are there any other similar programs from other reputed universities that I can apply to? I am aiming too high? what universities can I hope to get into?

I am also interested in pursuing a PhD in public policy. Once again, what are the universities that I can target? Any advice will be highly appreciated.

To be quite blunt, that low of a gpa especially in your masters will be quite hard to overcome.

There are usually minimum GPAs that schools as a whole require, often around a 3.0. There are people who get in with lower, but many of them have much better graduate GPAs.

That said, I'm not in social work so things might be a bit different there.

I would wonder if grading is significantly different in India than in the U.S. For instance, you would not have been admitted to a master's degree program here with a 2.3-2.5 and you would not have been allowed to graduate from a master's program with a 2.3 to 2.5 GPA. I also wonder if, being from India, you're familiar with U.S. schools. The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor is one of the very best schools for Social Work and for Economics. In fact, it's ranked 2nd (US News and World Report) in the United States for Social work.

If your GPA really is equivalent to a US GPA of a 2.3 to a 2.5, you have a hard path ahead of you. Doctoral admissions is usual much more competitive than master's degree admissions, especially at top schools, where departments often only admit those they're willing to fund. If you look at Howard University, ranked 42nd (ibid.) in the United States, they require a 3.0 to even apply for the master's degree. Even Our Lady of the Lake University, ranked 112th (ibid) in the US, requires a 2.50 overall undergraduate GPA or a 3.00 on the last 60 semester hours for admission to their master's degree program.

Hi kphd! I think the most important thing you need to think about is the fit of your research interest to the interest of the faculty of the school you are going to apply to. Applications are not viewed solely based on your GPA or GRE scores. Sometimes, even if you have high scores on both if there is no fit, you would get rejected.

What is your primary research interest? Once you identified that, I would suggest that you do a search for scholarly articles in that area, look for the scholars that have projects along that line, visit university websites and read the CV's of the professors. Then email them, have a chat with them (over the phone is ok if that's possible while you're overseas.) You need to establish the "fit" and show in your essay that you are applying because you know (or at least you hope) that the program has the capacity to support and mentor you in your area of interest.

Sorry for this round about way of answering your question. What I'm trying to say is I wouldn't know how your application will be viewed, but if you've done your research, you can justify your acceptance to the program based on a very good fit. This is coming from someone who had a dismal GRE score and was accepted to a reputable PhD program at an R1 university. :)

PM me if you'd like to chat.

Hi

Eigen, TheCrow and Waves

Thanks for the replies. Actually I am trying to convert 55% to GPA and I guess 55% from a university in India cannot directly converted to 2-2.5 GPA. But I'm just looking at the worst case scenario.

Anyways I don't there is enough time for me to pose as the best fit for any of the good university this year. I am considering applying for admission in 2013.

Thanks

I would wonder if grading is significantly different in India than in the U.S. For instance, you would not have been admitted to a master's degree program here with a 2.3-2.5 and you would not have been allowed to graduate from a master's program with a 2.3 to 2.5 GPA. I also wonder if, being from India, you're familiar with U.S. schools. The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor is one of the very best schools for Social Work and for Economics. In fact, it's ranked 2nd (US News and World Report) in the United States for Social work.

If your GPA really is equivalent to a US GPA of a 2.3 to a 2.5, you have a hard path ahead of you. Doctoral admissions is usual much more competitive than master's degree admissions, especially at top schools, where departments often only admit those they're willing to fund. If you look at Howard University, ranked 42nd (ibid.) in the United States, they require a 3.0 to even apply for the master's degree. Even Our Lady of the Lake University, ranked 112th (ibid) in the US, requires a 2.50 overall undergraduate GPA or a 3.00 on the last 60 semester hours for admission to their master's degree program.

Hi thanks for the reply..which ranking are you referring to?

Thanks