"Other" Subject Test Study Aides

With November's subject test fast approaching (panicpanicpanicpanicpanic!), I'm curious to know what you're using to study besides run-of-the-mill study books and websites (i.e. Kaplan, Princeton Review, &c). Here are a few of my favorites:

The Facts on File: Dictionary of Classical, Biblical, & Literary Allusions, by Abraham Lass, David Kiremidjian, and Ruth Goldstein. Each entry is short, to the point, and easy to remember.

A Glossary of Literary Terms, by M. H. Abrams. It's good for those who haven't had much exposure to theory, or who need to brush up on literary terminology.

I Always Look Up The Word Egregious, by Maxwell Nurnberg. It's "the vocabulary book for those who don't need one."

Edited by dimanche0829

Hi -- I just took the subject test two weeks ago, and I found one of the best resources for information was my peers in the department. Sometimes they have weirdly detailed amounts of different information so it's easier and faster to just ask someone about, lets say, the Bible than actually looking it up.

Also, I found reading the introductions in my anthologies collected over the years helpful to place people in literary history. If you know biographical information about the authors it can help to place/identity them. Plus a lot of the test comes down to POE so being able to tell that someone happened to like hats., for example, can make or break a question.

When I took it I was sitting next to someone taking the physics subject test and he was working out long (LONG) math problems so as I was reading excerpts of poetry I didn't feel as bad. Just remember: You could be taking the physics subject test.

Good luck!