About applying to a PhD

ezequiel

Hi, I'm still an undergrad (an international one) and I'm thinking about applying to a PhD programme in a canadian or european university. But I have a question, that may seem silly to some, but I'm new to this whole application process thing.

I see that a lot of people applied to maybe 15 schools, and what I always wondered was if they had communicated with 15 different potential advisors. When I see an application form, you have to complete it with the thesis topic, advisor, a brief explanation of the project, etc.

For all of those who have applied to more than 1 PhD programme, did you contact potential advisors beforehand in each case? Or can you leave that blank, only specify the research area you are interested in and worry about the specific project when you are admitted (and funded!!)?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but nonetheless is an important one for me.

Thanks.

For all of those who have applied to more than 1 PhD programme, did you contact potential advisors beforehand in each case?

Yes. It's not absolutely essential, but ideally you want to contact a Professor before you apply. Many applicants do this, so you want to keep up. But even more important than that, Professors come and go from universities. A few I contacted were leaving the University they were at this year. If you write about a Professor that is leaving in your Statement, you look like you haven't done your homework and might get your app tossed.

Or can you leave that blank, only specify the research area you are interested in and worry about the specific project when you are admitted (and funded!!)?

If you don't specify what you want to study, it is very likely you will lose out to someone who laid out what they want (or think they want) to do. What you write isn't totally binding; nobody's interests are static. Obviously with the amount of reading you are going to do over the course of a PhD, you are going to get interested in new things. But you have to at least show that you know what you are talking about and propose something, even if it is somewhat general.

Thanks. So, basically, the answer is yes, I should contact some profs in advance.

Another issue: If I get accepted and fully funded in, let's say, three schools and I had several contacts with some profs. in each case, wouldn't it be rude to decline? I mean, It's not just saying no to an institution, it would be saying no to a person (and a future colleague researcher) who spent some effort replying my mails.

I know that mails are no formal commitment, but the professor might feel insulted if after sending enthusiatic mails to him about his research I turn him down (beacuse of a better offer!).

PD: I know this is silly, but I'm no native english speaker, is my english awkward?

Thanks. So, basically, the answer is yes, I should contact some profs in advance.

Another issue: If I get accepted and fully funded in, let's say, three schools and I had several contacts with some profs. in each case, wouldn't it be rude to decline? I mean, It's not just saying no to an institution, it would be saying no to a person (and a future colleague researcher) who spent some effort replying my mails.

I know that mails are no formal commitment, but the professor might feel insulted if after sending enthusiatic mails to him about his research I turn him down (beacuse of a better offer!).

PD: I know this is silly, but I'm no native english speaker, is my english awkward?

Your english is very good. Now that you point it out, there are minor things that hint at it. "Mails" is kind of a hint, but I honestly didn't suspect you weren't a native English speaker until you said something.

Anyway, some people disagree with me on the contacting professors issue. Might want to read their advice too, I think there is a link to that thread posted above.

But I wouldn't worry about it too much; if you get into a better University, a Professor will understand that you are just trying to do what's best for your future. Especially since you should only contact them with one or two e-mails. Anymore than that and you might be pestering them. They get a LOT of e-mail, and if you keep asking inane questions just for the sake of corresponding with them, it's going to do you more harm than good.

The answers you've had aren't really applicable for the European process. That said, your conclusion that you should contact faculty members in advance of applying is correct.

In Europe, it is my understanding that you are admitted to do a PhD on the basis of a specific research project. In some European countries (eg the Netherlands) the majority of projects are conceived by faculty and advertised almost like a job. If you talk to the faculty member, you can find out if the prjoect was created for a specific person, or if they're genuinely looking for someone.

In the UK, sometimes a specific project will be advertised, but there is freedom also to apply with a research proposal you've formed. If you don't have a specific project, you won't get admitted because the research proposal IS the application, more or less (in the UK definitely; I haven't looked into other European countries in as much depth). If this is you, you would need to contact someone who shares your interests and ask if they are working on or planning anything potentially suitable. In answer to your question: no, you definitely can't leave the description of thesis blank on the application.

In both cases, you don't want to be applying for as many programmes as American applicants typically do. In the former, the projects are so specific that only a very small pool of people will apply. If you're in contact with the prof, they may be able to give you an idea of how many people have expressed interest. In the latter scenario, you will have been working with the prof on the research proposal. They won't give you the go-ahead to apply (not that you need permission, exactly, but they'll advise you against it) until the proposal is up to par. If they (the department) like your proposal, and you have a previous degree with reasonable (not necessarily amazing, depending on the school) grades, you'll be accepted. Because it's a more specific process, there are fewer people applying, and people aren't applying to 15 programmes, it's not as competitive.

Also, European unis are likely to use rolling admissions, where you can apply at any time and they'll consider your application when it is received. So you could potentially avoid being accepted multiple places at once. Note that funding is separate from admission, and if you're a non-EU citizen, you will most likely have to find external funding. Same in Canada for non-Canadians, though overall the Canadian application process is closer to the US system.

If you look thoroughly at both "international students" and "prospective graduate (or post-graduate) students" sections on the websites of the unis that interest you, you'll probably find most of the information you need.

Good luck!

Thanks, you've been really helpful!

Yeah, I know that the european system is different than the american one, and it's less competitive. Besides, professors are more involved in the process because they are the ones that are interested particularly in you.The canadian system is similar to the US one, some colleges even ask for the GRE and other standardized tests.

The funding issue really stresses me out. YOU have to search for it, and it's not that I'm lazy or anything, but It's easier if you send an application and find out if you're admitted to a program AND funded. What if I get admited to an interesting project, with an enthusiastic advisor, but I a can't find funding? Or the other way around, I get an scholarship or award, but all the projects in that city/country are sh*t... that would really SUCK!.

It would be easier to just apply and wait to see If I get any kind of finantial aid. Imagine to apply, for a single project in one university, to 4 o 5 scholarchips, prizes or awards... I would have to wait for 5 responses!! I would go crazy !!

Anyway, I'll write my experiencies with that system when I graduate and start applying.