Thoughts: Centre for Cultural Studies, Goldsmiths (London) ???

Nikksters

Hi everyone:

My research interest is internet art and exhibition theory. Top two schools/advisors are Julian Stallabrass at Courtauld Institute and David Joselit at Yale. Dr. Stallabrass referred me to Dr. Matthew Fuller at Goldsmiths as someone who might be a good fit, research-wise. Only problem is it would mean an MA in Cultural Studies, as opposed to a Art History (this is my preference). Does anyone have any feelings either way on the Cultural Studies program at Goldsmiths?

Goldsmiths offers an MFA in curating but no MA in art history, so it would make sense that the contemporary art would be grouped into Cultural Studies. I'm also hoping that the Cultural Studies program, while it may not have as much of a focus on Art History as I might like, might have a focus on Aesthetic Philosophy, which I would also really like to supplement my research.

Has anyone gone through the program or know anyone who's been through the program? I am visiting London in Nov and trying to arrange for meetings but in the meantime I'm just trying to do as much research as I can!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of hybrid practices and research, I've heard lots of good things about Goldsmiths.

I've been interested in their PhD program in Cultural Studies for a while, but it seems like there's no way that's going to happen because they won't fund you unless you're a UK national (which I'm not) or hold an EU passport with UK residency for 3 years prior to starting the course.

http://www.gold.ac.uk/ahrc/eligibility/