Grad School open houses?

brianmc

Does anyone know of any? It's sometimes easy to learn from other's questions. For the most part I just want to tour facilities, see studios with student work and get a general sense of the energy in a program. I don't really need to schedule an individual visit, but this scenario seems to only exist for undergrads. I know VCU does group tours on certain days, but does anyone else?

Yale has an open house each November. An address to all attending from Dean Storr. The group breaks up by discipline and department heads or senior faculty chat with interested students about their programs. Some catered snacking afterwards with plenty of time for introductions, questions and finger foods. If you're applying for the photography program you should try to sit in on a critique. These are open to the public and form the core of their program. Richard Prince and the wonderful printer Thomas Palmer are newly on board as critics, though I don't know if they're pulling Fall or Spring duty. I'm sure you can get more information by giving the School of Art a call during the week, (203) 432-2600. Also see about visiting the Yale Art Gallery, their digital lab, and the Beinecke Library.

http://art.yale.edu/Visiting

Edited by Sugartree

If you're checking out VCU try Kuba Kuba for lunch. Excellent Cuban restaurant. Two great bookstores in Richmond, too. Chop Suey in Careytown is a great all-around used bookstore, lots of great art books, strong photography section. Black Swan is fantastic, though geared towards collectible books, first editions, and fine bindings. Wonderful bins of old photographs for 50 cents apiece. Alec Soth is a fan! The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts is free, beautifully renovated and open every day.

• 2 weeks later...