2012 Critical Language Scholarship

Anthro14

it's such an awesome program. i did beginners hindi last summer, applying intermediate/advanced this summer. i feel like there is double the pressure second time around! is everyone in grad school?

I also applied for Beginner's Korean--pulling for both of us!

Thanks! You too! Hopefully we both make it. It sounds like such an amazing experience. Good luck to everyone else as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Alrightttt. So starts another application season. Who's applying? What language? I'm trying for Hindi again. Best of luck everyone!

I applied for Hindi too! Did you like it last summer? Good luck this year!

it's such an awesome program. i did beginners hindi last summer, applying intermediate/advanced this summer. i feel like there is double the pressure second time around! is everyone in grad school?

Undergrad, actually!

Any other Russian applicants here?

I applied for Hindi too! Did you like it last summer? Good luck this year!

Nice! LOVE LOVE LOVED it last year. Which is why the wait is 10x more painful this time around, I really want to go back! What level did you apply for?

Nice! LOVE LOVE LOVED it last year. Which is why the wait is 10x more painful this time around, I really want to go back! What level did you apply for?

Beginner. I just started learning.. studying right now for my 101 final :)

The wait is killing me though! I wish we could find out sooner... good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Not really. I got an email around this time last year saying "Congratulations, your application has been passed on to the 2nd round of decisions." But I didnt hear about the final decision until March

I also applied for Russian, ajollycossack, but intermediate level (I assume anyway haha). I got my first rejection last year so I'm hoping for a different tune this time! My application was much better haha more of a focus on how I plan to conintue language learning. I'm a graduating senior (looking at REES M.A. programs for the fall, hopefully)

I just heard back - passed the first-round review for a CLS in Persian. Anyone have any idea (or even just speculation) as to how many people pass the first round relative to the number of slots?

I have no idea how many people get past the first round. I didn't, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean much.

I just heard back - passed the first-round review for a CLS in Persian. Anyone have any idea (or even just speculation) as to how many people pass the first round relative to the number of slots?

Just heard back too and passed the first round for Beginning Korean! Holy cow, I was not concerned one way or the other about this--thrilled to get it, fine without it--but now the levels of advancement have my stomach in knots.

According to the website, "approximately one third" are advanced to the next round. The congrats letter said there were more than 5200 applications, so if the 1/3 ratio holds, there are still more than 1700 of us! Damn.

Congratulations to everyone! I got to the next level for beginning Turkish. My letter didn't say anything about how many applied vs how many were moved on, so I'm kinda on pins and needles right now. :)