PhD / Math / Advice

jcbthree

Hey all,

I have a B.A., M.A.T., and finishing my pure M.A. by Spring 2012, all in Mathematics.

I am applying to schools ONLY around new york city that will take my 30+ graduate credits.

I want to teach at a community/local college, I am not really into research.

The only universities that will take my credits and take 2-3 years are NYU Poly and Stevens Inst. of Technology.

CUNY will take 4-6 years. NJIT 4-5. Columbia 5-6. NYU 4-6. I am not willing to do any program with a minimum of 4 years. I want to be out in 3 years, MAXIMUM.

But, I am just thinking, is it worth doing a 2-3 year PhD program from either NYU Poly or Stevens Inst. of Technology? NYU Poly isn't ranked and SIT is ranked basically last of all ranked schools.

I am not asking if you think I should apply to CUNY or any other school I listed that I am not applying to.. I am simply curious if you think a PhD at NYU Poly or SIT will do anything for me when it comes down to graduating and looking for a job as a professor at a comm. college or local university.

Thanks.

Most of this is just conjecture, but...

You probably don't need a PhD if you want to teach at a community college. I know that back in my hometown you need only an MS to teach. Look at the requirements to start as an adjunct at the CC's you want to teach at. Starting as an adjunct is probably the best way to obtain a full time position at a CC.