waiting list to admit

Guest please

Guest please

what is usually the probability of a waiting list getting converted to an admit. i know it depends on the univ, the number of wait lists and the number of people who decline thier offers. but any idea what typically is the number of people in the wait list and how many decline offers

Guest baked hamlet

I asked by e-mail where I rank on the wait list, and they say I'm 11th! I have no idea how many applicants are usually on the list. Sure it depends on schools and departments. Nevertheless I was shocked. 11th! If I were 5th, I could have a fair hope. If I were 10th, maybe I still have a slight hope. But 11th! I've never thought of such a number. I don't know what the probability of my acceptance really is, but the number 11 just sounds somewhat surrealistic.

Any idea?

Guest guest

I am on the waitlist at U of Washington. In my program (social work phd), they choose "alternates" for each area of research interests of those that were offered admission. So, there may be 10 on the waitlist, but they aren't ranked. For me, I have to wait to see if the person with my same interests declines her offer. If she does, then I get her spot.

Guest please

even in my case they said that even if there is one opening, i would be considered for that. that doesnt mean i am #1 on waiting list. it simply means everyone wud be considered, depending on the opening.

I was just wondering about that question myself. Baked Hamlet makes a good point. It also depends on how many people they will admit into the program. If you're on a waiting list to see if one of the 12 people who were offered admission turn it down, chances are not good. That's how I'm looking at it, anyway.

I wish schools would better explain this part of the process. Just tell me if my chances are slim, people! I've already been rejected! I can handle it!

If you're on a waiting list to see if one of the 12 people who were offered admission turn it down, chances are not good.

In that case, chances are very good. Chances are not good if you're # 24 and all 12 have to decline.

Guest ultimateorb

Hello,

I have not gotten into any schools. Currently, I am waitlisted at one and an alternate at another. I just sorta of feel like I am not good enough. Like, I know a couple people who were accepeted to all the programs they applied too. On the other hand, I am sitting here, not knowing if I will be given the opportunity to go to grad school. I keep going back and forth between being completely and utterly depressed and talking myself out of my depression and being fine. It is very hard for me because I was not even considered at my "safety" school. I find out about my alternate status soon. I am scared that it will be a rejection. I guess this is the life of a grad applicant who is only mediocre.

Guest company

Ultimateorb, I feel your pain. This is a difficult time for those of us who don't even know if we'll get the opportunity to study next year. The idea of having to go through the whole process again next year is almost as daunting as the idea of an imminent job search. There is one word for this stage of the game, and that is YUCK.

It may be the field people applied to. Your friends may be applying to less competitive programs or schools, or even law and MA programs which tend to have higher acceptances. Either way, comparing to others is no fun because there are so many factors that go into these decisions that often have nothing to do with you. Some fields you are more likely to be accepted, and accepted to many programs, than others. If you are in a field with relatively few spots for a lot of applicants, getting waitlisted even rocks. Also remember, that it is possible that there are a handful of superior applicants who may be deciding right now and are not really considering people like you when doing it. They may be holding 3-4 spots and having a hard time making a decision. Ultimately, though, they will be forced to reject some opening up spots. I don't know how long the waitlists are or how likely you are to get off of them, but try to relax until the second week of April. If it ends up that the people offered the positions at your schools take them and you don't get off the waitlist, then work on finding a way to improve your chances for next year by contacting professors at a lot of schools and contacting the schools you applied for and asking how to improve your app. Good luck either way!

I wish I had found this forum a month ago when I was waiting and my stomach was chewing itself up, and then a few weeks ago when I started getting rejections. My mantra through this whole process was something a professor told me after I turned in my applications: "It's a crapshoot." And it really is. I think Leah has offered some good advice and some good encouragement. Nothing can change the fact that being rejected SUCKS. But I agree with Leah -- don't compare yourself to others. It isn't worth it, because it just doesn't make sense; there are too many factors involved.

This may sound obvious, but I had to remind myself over and over again that a rejection from a school was not a reflection of who I am as a person, and not even a reflection of the caliber student I know I would be in a grad program. I started to formulate a plan to better prove how awesome I am next year (all the while bummed about having to do it all again next year), because all you can do is fight for what you want. I did get accepted to one of my schools, and am sort of waitlisted at another...so have hope! If it doesn't work out this year, pick a couple of your top choices, and ask them how to improve your application, as Leah mentioned.