International Relations/Development - Online?

Well thats what I'm asking but I see your point.

Mainly because I have a good job and I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it or not to return to school to study for a job I'm already doing.

Think an online degree may be a good option to get a masters without actually giving up the job I have.

Anyone else have recomendations?

There is one program that may be worth looking into. Check out www.ir-online.org

The Freie Universitaet is an extremely well-respected school in Europe. When I was in school in Germany, and afterward in other countries, I have met students or alumni of FU Berlin [in other fields] and they loved it. Of course, other than that I know very little about it, so just see for yourself... but I think it'd probably be a great option. One big plus is that you actually have sessions at the school, but only a couple times a year and the rest is online.

In my opinion, the networking aspect of an IR degree is at least as important (if not more so) as the degree itself. So you might want to consider what an online degree would really get you.

It is possible to get a masters degree and work full time, at least in the DC area. Both GWU Elliott and American SIS have part-time options. There may be other schools that offer this too. At Elliott, all of the grad classes are in the evenings (after working hours).

I would agree that networking is a big part of the degree, but if you're already in the field than you probably already have quite a network of IR/ID associates. I'm doing ID at Elliott now and can't quite imagine what it would be like to take these classes online. For ID the capstone is working on a project in a group of your classmates with an actual development organization. So you could imagine that you'd want to know these people that you're working with and contributing to your final grade. There might be more online in terms of IR, but not sure about ID. Are you in the DC area?

I would agree that networking is a big part of the degree, but if you're already in the field than you probably already have quite a network of IR/ID associates. I'm doing ID at Elliott now and can't quite imagine what it would be like to take these classes online. For ID the capstone is working on a project in a group of your classmates with an actual development organization. So you could imagine that you'd want to know these people that you're working with and contributing to your final grade. There might be more online in terms of IR, but not sure about ID. Are you in the DC area?

Yeah, I'm already working overseas in the middle of a giant network of international professionals, so the the whole going back to school to develop a network doesn't appeal/make sense to me. The thing is I got here without getting my masters first, and while its fine for the time being I'm thinking it will catch up with me someday.

In my opinion, the networking aspect of an IR degree is at least as important (if not more so) as the degree itself. So you might want to consider what an online degree would really get you.

It is possible to get a masters degree and work full time, at least in the DC area. Both GWU Elliott and American SIS have part-time options. There may be other schools that offer this too. At Elliott, all of the grad classes are in the evenings (after working hours).

I agree in general, though I see why OP is asking this question. I can think of some programs off the top of my head, but none of them are from outstanding schools. If OP is just looking to check a box then it might not be a bad idea.

Yeah, I'm already working overseas in the middle of a giant network of international professionals, so the the whole going back to school to develop a network doesn't appeal/make sense to me. The thing is I got here without getting my masters first, and while its fine for the time being I'm thinking it will catch up with me someday.

If you already have a job in development, definitely keep it until the economy picks up. There are so few devjobs these days that you're unlikely to be able to get back into it right after your master's.

• 3 weeks later...