Speech Masters: Do I have a chance?

I am currenlty in the process of trying to apply for graduate school--masters in speech-language pathology. I have a overal GPA of a 3.45 with a 3.67 in my major which is communication sciences and disorders. I have taken the GRE once and scored very low (in the 700s). I do plan to take again with hopefully a higher score! :(

I was a director of a reading program for at risk children this summer and have obseved a SLP in the school systems. I am also a member of a coed leadership fraternity. Do I have a chance of getting into grad school?

I'm applying to several on the east coast. I currently attend Longwood and will be applying there--University of Virginia, James Madison, Radford, Old Dominion, and Appalachian State I was thinking about one in DC too but not sure if I would like the area. I feel that I will have strong recommendations but still not sure about everything.

I'm not familiar with the schools you've listed, but judging from a very surface level view it seems like the best way you can max your chances is to write a great personal statement and study study study to bring up your GRE score. Despite numbers/GPA (which isn't all that bad), schools do weigh in on your experiences and whether they were really meaningful or not, so make sure to push that through your essay. And if you're not sure about the strengths of your LOR, it can't hurt to go in and introduce yourselves to them and let them know what you've learned and the things you're involved with.

Good luck!

Definitely study, study, study for that GRE!! With SLP as competitive as it's become in the last few years, unfortunately a GRE score in the 700s likely won't cut it. If you aren't able to pull it into the 1000s (or above the 50th percentile, for the new version), I would consider adding schools that do not require GRE scores to your list!

The GPA is not bad at all, but the GRE makes me wonder what sort of school you went to, since the GRE and GPA send very different messages. That is not what you want admissions committees to be wondering about, so definitely take the test again. Even consider a professional course (Kaplan, or the like) and think of it as an investment, unless you are sure you can raise your score by studying on your own. The GRE may not be the most important component of your application, but you want to make sure you are not kept out of consideration because of it.

Standardized test just don't come to me that well. My SAT's were horrible and I barely got in from those. What did you study for the GRE? I have the GRE book with practice problems and stuff. However, many people have told me to study vocabulary?

Honestly, I didn't study vocab and just barely refreshed myself on math. What I did do was read study tips tailored to the new GRE. I found tips about where to best allocate time and strategies for taking the test itself to be more helpful than trying to memorize a bunch of vocab words and formulas. I didn't get a perfect score or anything but I did fairly well, the equivalent of a 1350 on the old scale (better than what most schools in SLP require anyway). I think if you have the knowledge but struggle with the test itself, that could be a good option for you, along with studying material.

I was wondering if I should retake the gre's or not....

I am a student applying to masters programs in speech for 2012, hoping to get into one of the California schools. I am finishing up my undergraduate degree in CMSD and have a minor in psychology. My overall gpa is a 3.8, while my major gpa is a 3.9.

My gre scores:

verbal: 153 (62 percentile)

quant: 149 (49 percentile)

Writing: 4.5 (72 percentile)

...I have barely any experience related to the field as I have been working as a waitress throughout my undergrad to pay for expenses. Can anyone weigh in on whether I should retake the gre or not? I'm not applying to any top schools but those Cali schools have gotten quite competitive and I dont have the $$ to apply out of state. Any responses are appreciated. Thanks! Good luck to all of you who are also applying for 2012! :)

Edited by hopeful1234

I think you'll be ok Devon. If I were you, I'd take the GRE one more time just to show that you really tried, and they can't fault you for being a bad test taker. This tests are crazy anyway. Try studying the ETS book, I used that and did ok. Honestly I didn't study for the math part, because most schools want to see high verbal & writing skills, at least in this field. You're GPAs are great, I wish I could say the same for myself!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in somewhat of the same boat. I graduated in May from the University of Florida, and my CSD GPA is a 3.44 and my overall is higher. I decided not to go straight into grad school this fall so I am applying for fall admission for 2012. I took the revised GRE and got the equivalent of an 800--Quantitative:139=390 new, Verbal Reasoning: 147=410 old, Analytical Writing: 4.0

I have worked as a slp rehab aid during my junior and senior year, and after getting my bachelors I worked for several months as an SLPA. Although our GRE scores are low I still think that when they look at the GPA, letters of rec, resume, letter of intent and so on that will count for a lot too. I am a TERRIBLE standardized test taker and am awful in the math department. I am planning on taking the GRE one more time in 2 weeks. My friends who I graduated with in May, and are already in grad school, said that their scores increased they 2nd time around especially since they had a better idea of what to expect. Focus on the Verbal Reasoning section...try to look over test strategies and just practice! A lot of schools want that 1000 but if you can aim for a 450 in the verbal and at least a 4.0 in writing someone will accept you. I am applying to a lot of schools in the south, one of them in University of Alabama and they say that they will accept conditional students meaning if you didn't make the 1000 cut as long as you get a 3.0 in 12 hours your first semester your fine. So for students like us, who do well in school just bad on these types of tests, thats promising. Also, UCF and FSU aren't listing a score this year due to the new GRE, so look out for some schools like that.....fingers crossed that this works in our favor! Good Luck with applying, hopefully this time next year we are finishing up our first semester of grad school :)

My gre scores:

verbal: 153 (62 percentile)

quant: 149 (49 percentile)

Writing: 4.5 (72 percentile)

Hopefull, your GRE is not bad. Equivalent to verbal 500 and quant 620 for total of 1120 on old GRE scale. Lot of schools state the lower end is 1000. May want to give it one more shot to see if you can get up in the 1200's to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in somewhat of the same boat. I graduated in May from the University of Florida, and my CSD GPA is a 3.44 and my overall is higher. I decided not to go straight into grad school this fall so I am applying for fall admission for 2012. I took the revised GRE and got the equivalent of an 800--Quantitative:139=390 new, Verbal Reasoning: 147=410 old, Analytical Writing: 4.0

I have worked as a slp rehab aid during my junior and senior year, and after getting my bachelors I worked for several months as an SLPA. Although our GRE scores are low I still think that when they look at the GPA, letters of rec, resume, letter of intent and so on that will count for a lot too. I am a TERRIBLE standardized test taker and am awful in the math department. I am planning on taking the GRE one more time in 2 weeks. My friends who I graduated with in May, and are already in grad school, said that their scores increased they 2nd time around especially since they had a better idea of what to expect. Focus on the Verbal Reasoning section...try to look over test strategies and just practice! A lot of schools want that 1000 but if you can aim for a 450 in the verbal and at least a 4.0 in writing someone will accept you. I am applying to a lot of schools in the south, one of them in University of Alabama and they say that they will accept conditional students meaning if you didn't make the 1000 cut as long as you get a 3.0 in 12 hours your first semester your fine. So for students like us, who do well in school just bad on these types of tests, thats promising. Also, UCF and FSU aren't listing a score this year due to the new GRE, so look out for some schools like that.....fingers crossed that this works in our favor! Good Luck with applying, hopefully this time next year we are finishing up our first semester of grad school :)

Thank you for posting about the FL schools. I actually got the same score on the revised GRE. Verbal = 147 (410) Quant = 139 (390). Equivalent to an 800. I am applying to 5 schools in NY and FAU. I am a psychology major and a CSD minor (I did not have enough time to change my major). My overall GPA is 3.87 and my CSD GPA is 3.91. I don't come from an 'easy' school where high a high GPA is common. I have always been a bad standardized test taker, I also did not do well on the SAT. However, my university saw the potential and my grades and achievements have not been a reflection of my scores. I have volunteered at a clinic for stuttering in NYC, am an undergraduate research assistant for a professor in the CSD department, and on the executive board of NSSLHA. I am hoping that my research experience will be of help. However, I am very worried because of the GRE. Unfortunately, I don't have time to retake the GRE. But I am confident that my LORs are strong and am working very hard on my personal statement.

Does anyone have any recommendations for schools? Specifically in Florida? Any and all advice is appreciated. Best of luck to all of you!

• 2 months later...

KD, I know UFl has a top ranked grad program... know anything about its difficulty (say from friends in the program, etc)?

I'd also be interested in info about USF, FSU, and UCF :)

Edited by tman23

KD, I know UFl has a top ranked grad program... know anything about its difficulty (say from friends in the program, etc)?

I'd also be interested in info about USF, FSU, and UCF :)

Hi there! I go to UCF for my undergrad now! I applied to UCF and UF for grad school and am hoping for UF!!! I can try to help you with some info on UCF, what would you like to know?

SLPA certification is different in every state. Some require observation hours, some do not. Some also require specific courses be taken. I'm in Arizona and I believe we need 100 hour of "interaction" plus 20 credits in SST or something along those lines. I had the worst time finding SLPA work though anywhere near where I live. Other plan B options would be to find a research assistant position at a local university or find work in a related field. I've been working in the field of social work for the past several years focusing on helping people with disabilities. Working habilitation with kids with autism is also wonderful experience. Good luck!

• 5 months later...

Hi there! I go to UCF for my undergrad now! I applied to UCF and UF for grad school and am hoping for UF!!! I can try to help you with some info on UCF, what would you like to know?

I'm applying to UCF for spring 2013! Congrats on getting in! Can I ask what your GRE score was? Also, did you include a letter of intent as well as a personal statement?