Based on my portfolio, what schools would you reccomend?

Kiwitini

Hello,

I graduated last May with a BFA after attending 3 different undergrad schools. I had a diverse education over the course of 6 years and feel ready and excited to attend grad school. I have a very loose, expressive hand that relates to Abstract Expressionism. I would not call my work conceptual, however it is not realistic or naturalistic either (NY Academy, for example, would be too geared towards anatomy). Basically, my paintings are about the burden of having a perishable body. I express this through loose interpretations of the body and abstraction.

I am not sure what programs are the best fit for my aesthetic. Many of my professors suggested PAFA. Currently, I own an apartment near NYC, so it would be really great if I could find a program here. However, I would relocate for the right program and do not want to limit myself. I would really like some feedback on what would be a good fit for me. Right now NY Studio School, Pratt, PAFA, and Boston Museum School are high on the list for me. Also, I was wondering about Bard. I can't seem to get a good feel for the type of work the students make.

Sorry, that was long. Anyway, take a look and let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

This reply is going to be purely a critique based on the work on your site, so don't take any of it personally.

I think the first two paintings on your blogspot feel more resolved than the rest in terms of ambition, scale, color, composition and interpretive quality. Also, they are just more interesting to look at than the rest. The others pieces are 'undergrad class assignments' and typical model poses done as sketches (which barely qualify as gestural). You say your work is about "the burden of having a perishable body" done in an abstract expressionist style---yet I barely get that theme or style from looking at the work as a whole. I read your artist statement which I like, but it does not reflect visually in the work. I see one of your works is titled "The Absurd" and that hearkens to French philosopher, Albert Camus. You must know your titles are references to huge subject matter with its own context and your art must then live up to it. To tackle philosophy and claim it as your subject for a piece as the title itself is borderline ballsy and futile.

English philosopher, Simon Critchley, explains,‎"To see an artistic thing as the illustration of a theory is to engage in what we might call ‘philosofugal’ uses of theory, where theory spins out from itself to try and cover the artwork. What we should be attempting, I think, is an ‘artopetal’ approach where theory is drawn into the orbit of the thing and whatever theoretical reflections are pulled back to the artwork’s centre of gravity."

I know some people may need to read that quote a couple of times to get it, but please do so. It will save you a lot of headache in the end.

You talk about layering paint and depicting decomposition which reminds me of Sigmund Freud and Jenny Saville right away. For abstract expressionism, look at William De Kooning.

Is your website's current art a reflection on all the possible pieces you will submit? Ask yourself why you want to go to grad school, then look at the schools you are interested in and read their departmental statement. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your next step after a BFA is an MFA. You need more reason and resolve to consider grad school. There are a lot of portfolio reviews happening RIGHT NOW. You should attend. If you are still in New York, try these Portfolio Days:

Purchase, NY

Purchase College, SUNNY

(914) 251-6000

Saturday, November 12, 2011

New York, New York

Javits Cenetr (MICA host)

(410) 669-9200

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Many grad schools will be here and give you the best portfolio reviews and honest opinions on your work.

I have not applied to any schools yet and have not finished my portfolio but this is my opinion/advice. Good luck =)