Guaranteed PhD @ Masters School or Apply Elsewhere

PhD4Me?

I have been offered a PhD position at the school I am currerly doing my masters at. This is good but I am unsure if I should take this option or apply to different programs elsewhere. I did my undergrad at a Big 10 school and am doing my masters at a less well established school in the south. I am concerned if I stay to do a PhD at this school it will be detrimental to my future but am having a hard time passing up an offer where I know who I would be working with and what I would be working on. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been offered a PhD position at the school I am currerly doing my masters at. This is good but I am unsure if I should take this option or apply to different programs elsewhere. I did my undergrad at a Big 10 school and am doing my masters at a less well established school in the south. I am concerned if I stay to do a PhD at this school it will be detrimental to my future but am having a hard time passing up an offer where I know who I would be working with and what I would be working on. Any suggestions?

I have been told often that it has less to do with the school and more to do with your advisor. What aspects of Animal Science are you focusing in? I do not agree that there is no future in it, there are many opportunities. What you need to think about is what you are most interested in and how your current advisor has helped you achieve that goal. If you feel like you have not made enough connections or have advanced in your career then I say go elsewhere.