How much does age matter?

tt503

I was going to apply for a Ph.D. this year, but after discussing it with the professor that I'm currently TA-ing for, he told me that if I were to score higher on the GREs, I would be a lot more competitive than I am now, and he offered me funding for an extra year of study to have time to develop a solid writing sample and take the GREs next year (last time I took them was in 2008). I'm done meeting the requirements for my program, and this is my second master's degree (from an Ivy).

The problem is that I'll be 30 next year and probably around 35 by the time I'm finished with my Ph.D. (I'm assuming that with all the credits I've racked up, I can petition for advanced standing with some programs). Many of my friends already have Ph.Ds because they were accepted right out of undergrad, and I wasn't accepted anywhere for two cycles (hence the extra course work) and I'm under the impression that being 35+ will hurt me on the job market, because they will want to hire someone younger and more of an academic "superstar"....If it helps, I'm looking at history/historical sociology/middle east programs.

Thoughts?

I don't think it will hurt you at all. In fact, I reckon you'll be in a pretty good position, as you'll have the coveted "life experience" -- and, if you're being funded to continue doing research in a master's program, with luck you'll have even more pubs and presentations under your belt by the time you're applying. Compare that to the straight-from-undergrad "superstars" with their lone sixth-author pub and collection of posters, and you'll stand out brilliantly.

Not to knock straight-from-undergrads, as I am one myself. But the point is, extra research experience is never going to be looked down upon. Continue to learn, get a great LOR from this guy, retake the GREs, and reapply. You'll be fine. :)

It is much better to be a year older and be in a decent program than being a year younger and do not get in at all or being in a lower level instituton. that will hurt your job prospects more. You can try your luck but do not get too upset if you do not get in this year!

I had a 40-something-year-old man in some of my undergraduate psychology courses. He had recently retired early from his previous career, so he went back to school. He was talking about going for a masters, possibly even a PhD. I don't know what actually happened to him (not even sure what year he was supposed to graduate), but he didn't let age stop him from wanting to pursue a higher degree. And our professors seemed very supportive of it.

I also wonder if your prof just really likes you and doesn't want you to leave ^_^ GRE scores aren't all-important, unless you tanked them.

They are important if you have a low UG GPA (which I did, I have a good excuse, but it still kept me out for two rounds). The professor is a former dept. chair, so I trust him when he says, "re-take the GRE." I'm planning on taking the funding for another year, I just really hate to keep pushing back my plans (e.g. I will have over 100 credits from my graduate degrees before I enter a Ph.D. program)...

Then if your GPA was low, that would make sense for you. My professor put a lot of fear in me that my GPA should have been higher (it was a 3.8 at the time he said it), and that I should have taken the subject GRE (none of the schools I was looking at required/even mentioned it, and I already had a degree in the same field). He just wanted every aspect of my application to be perfect, but I think I am fine where I am at.

One more year will go by quickly enough, and if it helps you to build up more research experience and publications and/or presentations, it will only help you.

I agree with Gellert...life experience is definitely a plus. It shows that you are mature, stable and have a lot of different experiences/knowledge/skills to bring to the table. I honestly doubt that any grad program would discriminate against you based only on your age. Make sure that your applications are as high-quality as possible and you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck!

I don't think any employers will say that 35 is too old. They're also federally prohibited from saying any age is too old. In practice, they will think of a 35-year old as somebody that they don't have to train as much, who they can still squeeze 30 years of labor out of.