Chemistry Masters in ETHz

schrodingerson

Which universities im aiming for an admission in MSc. chemistry (Tiers based on my choice of programme, not how i rank them)

Tier 0: ETH

Tier 1 : EPFL

Tier 2: KU leuven, Lund , Upsala < great research in the field

Tier 3:U.S.

Would you be kind enough to chance me? :)

Is it hard to expect an admission here? Some people say admissions are as competitive as in the Ivy league. But i have my heart set for admissions to ETH.

I have a chemical engineering degree from a school where eth usually admits 3-4 engineering applicants a year. ( i know this from alumni)

GPA 7/10. grades are rather laughable.

Gre 800Q, 600V. IETLS - 7 (barely made it :)

Planning to give Gre Chem. Should do well.

I have research work in theoretical chemistry. Developed and developing a couple of packages which are actually used in lab.Might end up in my first publication, maybe in the next 3 months (fingers crossed x)

AND 1 internship and 2 projects in chem engg. which should not count.

No pubs/confs as yet

A couple of strong references from reputed Profs in chemistry.

My SOP is tailored as to why i shifted my stream AND the skills i have developed over the years to work as a theoretical/quantum chemist.

ECs are good but i doubt they will count.

So should i keep my hopes up for tier 1?

Edited by schrodingerson

Q: Are you planning to go into theoretical chemistry? It wasn't clear from reading your post.

Also: why in the world would you say that your projects in chem eng "wouldn't count"? Most profs are looking for research experience in general, rather than specific sorts of research experience. (It's different if you're applying for a post-doc. But they tend to expect a first-year grad student to have general research experience.)

I think the inherent problem with getting answers to your post is that most of us are American, and therefore unfamiliar with most of the schools you hope to apply to. I'm familiar with ETH, which is my advisor's alma mater--she has lots of ties there, so I've met some profs/grad students from that school. I know it's a pretty hard school to be admitted to, but I don't know how it compares with various American universities.

Unlikelygrad.

Yes, i plan to pursue theoretical chemistry. Im sorry i didn't mention it clearly enough.

I think the inherent problem with getting answers to your post is that most of us are American, and therefore unfamiliar with most of the schools you hope to apply to.

i know! just trying my luck. Since, im getting mixed responses from doing research on the internet.