Would you attend a visiting weekend if........

1) You've been admitted to one of your top choices and this isn't it (this is third);

2) They haven't told you that you've been admitted (you're just invited with a "select" group);

3) They are paying a portion of the plane ticket, not all (I will have to pay $300 for the trip at the very least)

4) The trip is less than convenient (it's in the middle of the work week.... and yep, I work! I'd have to take off probably three days).

I may not get into my second choice, so I don't want to ruin my chances with this place. Does one really have to attend the visiting weekend in order to be seriously considered for admittance? Would you feel okay about opting out if you'd already been admitted to your top choice?

I just want to add that it is my top choice in my head. One can never be sure that the ranking will stay that way in the end, hence my caution.

Well, personally I am certain enough of my top choice that I probably wouldn't go if I were in that situation (already admitted to top choice).

But I am going to try to go to as many visit/interview days as possible because I think it will be fun, I'd like to get a good sense of what different programs are like, and the resulting connections in the field will make it worthwhile.

Of course, there is also the fact that it is only courteous to let the program know if there is no chance you will end up going there, so that they can let in someone else.

That's funny. I guess I think I have an answer to my own question, but I figured maybe if you still said, "Yes, I would go," then I would keep on thinking about it... At this moment I'm still not certain about what to do.

I agree that it's a good opportunity to network and stuff. And an opportunity for fun! This one's in San Diego....

SocialPsych, in terms of the quality of the program and the match with the supervisor it is great, but how can one be so certain about their #1 choice if they haven't visited in person?

Personally, I would go, even if I had already been admitted to my top choice.

In part this is because I'm not 100% sure that my top choice is my top choice. Sure, my top choice is the highest ranked, but does that really mean that it's the best fit for my personality? A visit to the school is the best way to assess that.

But the main reason I'd go is that after grad school I'll have to do a post-doc, and after that I'd hopefully get a job in academia. So even though I didn't go to that school for grad school, there might be a chance of ending up there for a few years, or even more. Meeting the faculty in advance, and having them meet me, before the post-doc/job interview situation would be a bonus.

Ahhh.... I still can't decide. $300 is a lot of money for me to spend if it's only 25% likely I'd go to this school (I'm being generous in that estimate).

But I may have to bite the bullet and go. UnlikelyGrad, that's a good point you make about your future plans (post doc). In my field I hear that post docs are less common, but if I did one it probably would be somewhere else.

It really doesn't make sense to visit if you're just doing it because you think you might possibly end up there someday as faculty. I mean, for one thing, universities look much different after 3-5 years than they do now, and if you're a serious contender for a faculty or post-doc position, they will likely pay for your visit at that time.

If you're a poor college student or grad student, I'd say save your money. If you later think there's a better chance you'll attend for grad school, make a visit then.

Is it ranked substantially lower than your top choice? If both are in the top 20 or 25, I'd say maybe visit since the difference in rankings at the top might not matter as much if one was 7 and one was 37. If the ranking difference is minor, you could probably pick based on which school fits best.

Otherwise, if you're pretty sure you aren't going to go, why bother? Not only are you spending money on the trip, but you're losing money for the days you aren't working. You aren't even certainly admitted to this school. I think IvyHope makes some valid points.

The overall Psych program is ranked comparably to my first choice, according to the NRC and US News and World rankings; however, when you look by sub-specialization, my first choice is #3 overall and the school in question is not in the top ten. Nevertheless, the school is very reputable for other areas of psych that are related to my area. Based on my own knowledge, my top choice is very reputable and seems like a very stimulating environment in which to study in my area of specialization. The school in question would give me a solid education in experimental psych, but likely is not an ideal place for someone in my sub-specialty.

Another major concern of mine is that this program is very far from home and I will want to visit home regularly. Most flights are not direct and the travel time is around 8-10 hours by plane.

But...I have a nagging feeling that I shouldn't be too narrow about where I will visit/consider going to school. I'm pretty sure that I'll go to my first choice, but without having visited yet I feel a bit of anxiety about closing doors on other options. Am I just being neurotic???

I don't think you are being neurotic!

The advice I got when I was trying to decide where to apply was, "Don't bother applying anywhere there is NO chance you will want to go. Otherwise, apply to as many places as possible." I plan to use the same philosophy to guide my decisions about where to visit/interview. Third place is pretty high on the list to just give up on without visiting.

The question is really whether it's worth $300 to you, no? It sounds like you are pretty sure you would like to visit if it were free/convenient, but you are unsure how to weigh the costs and benefits...correct me if I'm wrong...

I think you are right. I really don't want to spend the money/energy, which I think says a lot about how I feel about going to this school. I applied because I thought I would go to this school if I didn't get in elsewhere.

At this point I would say that I'm 95% likely to go to my top choice. I'm also thinking that if this school is really interested in me, then they will give me an offer even if I don't visit. So....I think I'm going to skip out on the visit and hope for the best!!