Clinical Psych PhD: Boost my dwindling self-esteem, please...and LOR question.

clinpsychprospect

For the last couple of months I have been pouring my blood, sweat, and tears into applying for Clinical Psych Ph.D. programs...and now, as the deadlines approach, I'm getting pretty nervous. I had a pretty (academically) rocky undergraduate experience--my learning curve is very prominent. I will have some pretty unspectacular items in my application (GPA, GRE) and some pretty good looking stuff (research experience). Let me know what you think about my prospects. I'm applying to mainly research oriented, "top 50" programs...so, this is me fishing for some words of encouragement...or words that will let me down softly. I won't be too bummed if I have to try again next year.

Undergrad

Top 40 university 2009 - psych major, applied psych minor

Overall GPA: 3.31

Last two years GPA: 3.75

GRE

V: 162 (90th percentile)

Q: 154 (67th percentile)

A: 4 (45th percentile)

Research Experience

1 y - Undergrad social psych lab

2+ y - UC San Francisco (top ranked medical research institution) substance abuse research group

-Work closely with clinical psychologists in a variety of NIDA-funded, multi-site clinical trials

-Perform QA monitoring on NIDA funded studies...monitor protocol adherence and human subjects safety.

-Been involved in nearly every aspect of the research process from data mgmt to data analysis to IRB dealings to recruitment, etc, etc.

Publications

-Assisted with/name is on 5 poster presentations; first author/presenter for one of which. All but one presented at national conferences.

-I am an author on two papers that are under review (fingers crossed that we hear back about them soon). One has been submitted to a fairly high impact journal

LORs

I have several (hopefully) good LORs from professors and post-docs.

Again, thoughts in my time of uncertainty, whether good or bad, will be much appreciated!

And now my question...I am applying to schools that, for the most part, are heavily research oriented. If I already have four solid LORs from psychology researchers, is there any value in me requesting a LOR from the director of the crisis line that I have been volunteering for???

It's really hard to say. If you browse around the forum, you'll see many applicants asking about their chances. The general consensus is that is impossible to predict. You do have good research experience but others applying to top clinical programs will have higher GRE scores and equal to better research experience. But you could be a better fit and get in.

So, just try to put your best app together and hope for the best. :) And no, I don't think you need 5 LOR's that's a bit overkill

So, I'm not the first nervous, curious grad school applicant to be asking about my chances, ehh?? :) Sounds like I might be shootin' a little high.

I guess what I meant to ask is should I make the crisis line LOR my third or fourth letter of rec. I'm curious about whether clinical psych programs would prefer to see a LOR that indicates clinical experience...as opposed to 3-4 straight research LORs.

So, I'm not the first nervous, curious grad school applicant to be asking about my chances, ehh?? :) Sounds like I might be shootin' a little high.

I guess what I meant to ask is should I make the crisis line LOR my third or fourth letter of rec. I'm curious about whether clinical psych programs would prefer to see a LOR that indicates clinical experience...as opposed to 3-4 straight research LORs.

If they will be equally strong letters, I'd go for the research LOR's since you are applying to research oriented programs. Someone in clinical psych may be better able to answer, but that's what I'd suggest.