Requested for letter -- silence.

thinking

I e-mailed a professor about a week ago requesting for a letter, and have not heard back. What do I make of this? Do I move on, and ask another professor?

If professors do not want to write letters, wouldn't they just say no in some form or another? Has anyone ever had a non-response?

It is certainly possible that they missed the request, or intended to respond and never did. I would say there is no harm in sending a follow-up message, perhaps acknowledging that they may be too busy or unable to provide a letter, if that is the case.

I suggest emailing to set up an appointment, and asking for the letter of reference in person. This way you can ask for a strong letter and see the person's reaction. Also, you might get some useful advice on where to apply or how to apply.

I have had this exact problem, I wrote to 2 professors after being away from university for about 12 years, reminded them of who I am, gave them a brief synopsis of my work since graduating and asked for help. One wrote back they didnt remember who I am, and the other saying he would be glad to help in principal but unsure how? I wrote back asking what they needed to write a good letter and offering any assistance, and it has been 2 weeks of silence. I have pretty much decided to move on and ask for a work reference.

I was actually in the same situation until now. I didn't hear back from two of the professors I emailed, so after two weeks, I decided to contact them through other ways. I left messages for them with the department assistant and was able to talk to them not long afterwards. They told me since they get a lot of email everyday (with most being spam), mine fell through the cracks.

Everything worked out fine for me, so don't give up and move on yet! If they didn't want to write a letter for you, they would have responded to your email with a no. Most likely, they just missed your email.

You guys really need to be way more persistent. At least try to send one or two more reminder e-mails, or even better, drop into their office if possible. E-mails fall through the cracks all the time, especially for really busy professors. Some professors have several grad students to supervise, classes to teach, and their inbox soon gets flooded with questions from students.

Thanks everyone for your helpful insights. I'm going to send the professor a follow-up e-mail, which I wouldn't have had the nerves to do if it weren't for your comments.

I wonder what a "No, I don't think I should write your letter" response would look like. I have 2 solid letters based on research experience from two different labs, but I'm struggling to secure the third letter, which will probably end up being a "She got an A in my class but I don't know know her super well," anyway. Unfortunately, most programs require 3 letters, and want 3 strong ones.

One additional question: Have most of you gotten all 3 (or more) letters from professors in your field? Does it raise a red flag to have one of your letters from a different academic department?

Thanks!

Update: I sent a follow up e-mail, and the professor responded in less than 10 minutes. Hope this helps future applicants dealing with similar issues. The lesson is: 1) professors are super busy, so 2) it's your job to get those letters. This advice is provided that your initial request still gives the professor a gentle out so that you're not forcing a letter out of them.

Does it raise a red flag to have one of your letters from a different academic department?

IMO, there are too many variables to provide a hard and fast rule that addresses your question. For example, if an applicant's area of specialization falls across disciplines, she may well profit from having a letter of recommendation from an English or a Philosophy professor.

The question you need to answer for yourself is: Are you getting LoRs from those who best know you, your work, and your potential to do well as a graduate student, and beyond?