Have you or are you having contact with the faculty in the programs you are applying to?

avee

I sent introductory emails, letting my POIs know that I had read their recent major publications, and that I had similar or overlapping research interests, which I briefly outlined (1-2 sentences). I then asked whether he or she thought that those research interests would be well-supported in the program, and whether I should apply. After a positive follow-up, I asked for a meeting, and then gave my application materials to the professor during the on-campus meeting. I had three contacts and am hoping for the best!

I see getting in contact with a POI as another way to gain more info about the program and the research life of the school. To me, when selecting a school, I want to have as much information as possible so I can make a decision about what school is the best choice for me. Before sending out apps, I wanted information about what potential advisors were accepting students. If the profs I wanted to work with were not taking students, I did not want to send an application that would not be considered. After sending out applications, I kept in contact with some POIs on an inconsistent basis as I had questions about the application process. Now, as I wait for admissions decisions I have not been in touch with them. I think during interviews there will be plenty of time and opportunity to discuss further questions.

Oh, and on the topic of contacting POI's one of the professors I contacted from a top 10 university said this in part of the reply

"When the time comes, it can sometime help if faculty put in a good word for applicants"

So, for future applicants that might stumble across this thread, it's going to help you far more than it would hurt you to contact your POI's ahead of time!

Edited by ThisSlumgullionIsSoVapid

I definitely have, and it's been really beneficial. For instance, UVic just received funding to conduct research on on the sex industry. The funding will last five years, and I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't contacted people in the department. I have done research on the sex industry during my undergrad and hope to continue to do so in graduate school. I've emailed two professors in that program, one of which seemed excited at the prospect of working with me; he seemed to really like my research (I sent him a copy of my thesis); the other also seems interested in having me be part of their program. I wonder, though, are professors often like this when potential students email them, or is it genuine when they express interest in your work (and sometimes ask to see your research)?

From what I have heard, professors are not obligated to respond at all to your contact so if they respond positively it should be taken as a great sign. I think it means they are truly interested in you as a student and your work. Well done and congrats on the opportunity to continue your work!

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

I also want to add: I did get accepted to UVic (!!!), and I am fairly sure that my previous conversations with my POIs got me in. I have all the qualifications to be there, but I seem to be under-qualified compared to my peers...

Never contacted a faculty member, but I was accepted to several good programs. I strongly think that it is unnecessary to contact professors prior to applying to PhD programs. For other majors such as engineering or nature science, they usually have independent labs charged by individual professors. In that case, funding conditions hinge on each lab's varying situations, so you should probably send an email to professors so as to ensure a place. However, in most sociology departments, members of admission committees take precedence over each professor's needs. What's more, sociology doctoral students normally do not solely work under just one professor but collaborate with multiple faculty members to pursue research. It is okay to use email to simply gather some information about the department. But 'sucking up' rarely guarantees your admissions, in my opinion. Some might say that "I contacted a professor then got admitted" - I'd say you would have been accepted, too, without having a conversation with professors because you're basically qualified.