Withdrawing from a course

I'm a senior and am currently applying to PhD programs. Unfortunately, this semester I've way overextended myself with four writing-intensive seminars plus a required science course (not my strongest subject). I'm not doing poorly in anything, but I'm also not sleeping much and I'm really struggling to find time to work on applications. I'm considering withdrawing from one of my courses since I know schools probably won't see my grades from this semester and the W doesn't seem like a big deal. But I'm worried that I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I don't get in anywhere this round and want to try again later -- especially because the course I'd drop is a (very tedious) graduate English seminar. How bad will a W look on my transcript, especially if it's for a class like that? Is it better to give myself more time to work on my writing sample, etc. or to stick with the class to the bitter, boring end?

I agree with Phil Sparrow. I waited until this semester, after having graduated in May, and though I am stressed with the fellowship I am fulfilling, I don't have to worry about a full course load.

Seriously, with the amount of money it takes to apply, and the slight chances of getting in anywhere, you'll want to do the best you can. You know yourself best, but I knew I needed to put a lot of time into making my applications effective.

The reason I've decided to apply this year rather than waiting is that I've already taken a year off (between my sophomore and junior years). Which isn't quite the same thing, I know, but at this point I want to at least try to continue on rather than spending more time away.