Any advice for SOP for Econ PhD?

I've been reading through the forum here and I see a lot of great advice but it seems like most is geared toward english and humanities grad programs. I guess it's different with econ, you aren't necessarily supposed to have clear research objectives or propose a project idea as far as I know.

That being said, does anyone have any advice for writing a SOP when you don't need to specify a project?

Write about your subject of interest, e.g. business cycle; explain why you are genuinely interested in this subject.

Tell them what you have learned from courses and research about this subject, what approach did you try.

It is fine to say that it's still unfinished, that's why you go to grad school.

Last, compare your interest with the school professors and curriculum, and explain why it motivated you to go there.

It is not necessary to have clear research objective, but you should have one or two subject of interest in economics.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any downside to proposing a project? Even if it's not required, it shows that you've really done your homework.