How to ask when I don't have the rest of my application materials prepared

Bennet

One of the schools I am applying to has a January 1st deadline, so I'm running out of time to get my application materials together. However, I don't want to rush myself because I have been continually revising my SOP and writing sample, and I don't want to apply before I am (mostly) satisfied with my revisions. So I haven't applied to any of my schools yet, and I haven't asked for any letters of recommendation yet. I recognize this a huge problem because I am close to giving my professors only a month's notice, and I know that's unacceptable.

So my question is can I ask them to write letters of recommendation for me now even though I'm not actually ready to apply yet? I'm doing all of my applications online so while I'm not ready to submit my materials, I don't want to be last minute with my LOR requests.

Ask right away or soon. With some applications you don't have to have your app. completely submitted for people to write LOR's. You will be freaking out wondering if programs have received all needed information if you wait too long. With that said most programs are aware people do this process differently and some do give lee way.

Keep in mind that a January 1st deadline means that you typically need to have your LoRs before Christmas break, as I doubt professors will want to do it after that. So you might think you have a lot of time, but subtract at least 2 weeks from that.

If you're worried about asking them and being unable to provide them with finalized versions of your docs to help them write your LOR, I wouldn't worry. It is definitely better to give them as much time as possible. If they ask for your supporting docs (CV, writing sample, SoP, etc.) as an aid for writing their letter, let them know that you're still working on it and give them non-finalized versions to use.

Bennet--

Give some thought to how you might answer questions such as "Why don't you know if you're going to apply?" and "Why did you not ask sooner?"

In regards to the latter, you provided a partial answer in the OP, but if a potential LoR writer were to press a bit, what would you say?

Edited by Sigaba