Which 3 recommenders?

EASC

I'm applying to PhD programs in electrical engineering. I have so far 3 ideal recommenders. The professors that I worked with for 3 years and obtained a publication from my work (I'm the first author). Now this professor is not from my home university, he is from the school that I am applying to but fro the mechanical engineering department. Anyway, I'm sure that he will write an excellent letter for me. The second professor is from my school but I never took a class with her. However, I did worked in her chemistry lab for 3 years and she is aware of my progress in my publication. Finally there is a professor from the electrical engineering department from my home school. I took 3 courses with him, one as undergrad (A) and two as graduate student (A and A-). However, his letters talk only about the courses (in an outstanding way) but they don't say anything beyond that.

I was thinking in replacing the 3rd letter with a professor from a community college that knows me since 2005. In fact, the reason why I got involved in research was because of him. I used to attend this community college before transferring to the college I obtained my bachelor's from. I took general chemistry I and II with honors and their labs with him. I met my second recommender because of him and right now I am working as adjunct lecturer in the same community college that I used to attend, and since he is the chairman of the Natural Science department, he is kind of my boss. If there is somebody who know me well is him. But I don't know if a letter from a professor that belongs to a community college will not have the same importance as from my home school. I want to point out that I am not attending my home school anymore. I graduated with a master's degree last June (same school I obtained my bachelor's degree) and that is why I am working as adjunct lecturer until I get into a PhD program. In general professors from the E.E. department write letters related to the courses, and I don't have other possible recommenders that know me well.

It is important to mention that I am applying to top schools such as Princeton, Stanford, Cornell...

Any advise?

• 3 weeks later...

I think your post is hard to read, and its kind of lame to think that Princeton etc. won't think highly of a professor from a community college. If I was the professor reading your application and knew this, I would immediately dismiss it because it sounds totally arrogant. Anyways, I'd go with the community college professor, that way you have demonstrated an interest in E.E. in three valuable directions: publication, lab, and as a lecturer. Good luck.