Chances of getting into MS/PhD is Statistics?

arpan

Hello,

It is really stressful to go through universities' information, complete all information for application, and pay some hefty fees for all the applications. I would really appreciate if anyone in here could give me some advice. I am applying for MS/PhD in stat.

Background:

Bachelors in Mathematics and Economics (Honors) from a relatively small and less-known private liberal arts school

-got merit based full ride for all four years

-gold medalist for two of the four years

-top ten of the graduating class

-highest award possible for the graduating class in both departments

-major GPA of 4/4; overall 3.95/4

GRE Q-162 (87%) V-163(93%) A-5 (not sure if this what the score will be like when they are reported. I took the new GRE and am still waiting for the scores to be reported on Dec. 1. I am guessing scores will be changed to the old 1600 system).

I essentially do not have any academic research other than the undergraduate thesis I did for economics. My feeling was that the paper could have been better but because of time restraints and all it was as it was. I could have done research during my undergrad but because of economic reasons did internship instead for the last two years of undergrad in a company and was heavily involved in SAS based econometric works works (I am hoping that shows I am not a slacker and somehow compensates for my limited of academic research background).

I have taken some higher level math classes (advanced calculus, mathematical modelling, statistics, probability, ordinary differential equations, linear algebra), econometric ( took a introductory class, and did three semester worth of independent study on time series as co-op credit for the internship), Mathlab (classes on Mathlab, Mathematica, Matlab). I am also relatively familiar with SPSS, SAS, and R.

I have recommendations, which I am hoping will be strong, from professors (one advised me on the thesis, and two are aware of the work I did for internships) and a decent letter of intent. But being from a non-research based institution, some of the professors, I am afraid, do not have the desired stellar reputation in academic circles. I hope this won't hurt my chances.

Universities applying to:

Carnegie Mellon

Northwestern

Duke

UNC Chapel-Hill

UPenn

Duke

Kentucky and Colorado State (may be)

Given my next to bleak economic condition, it is absolutely essential I get some form of financial aid. This is the part that worries me the most. Could you please give me some advice on the prospects I have and may be on some programs I have not yet heard about.

Loads of thanks in advance.

Edited by arpan

I'd wager you have a good shot at being admitted to most of the places you listed, though opinions on this may differ around here. Most PhD programs offer full funding to their students, so if you get in you shouldn't have to worry about money (at least to the extent that you can manage to eat/live on a typical grad student stipend). MS programs are a mixed bag; some offer funding to many students, others to a few, and still others to none.

I'd wager you have a good shot at being admitted to most of the places you listed, though opinions on this may differ around here. Most PhD programs offer full funding to their students, so if you get in you shouldn't have to worry about money (at least to the extent that you can manage to eat/live on a typical grad student stipend). MS programs are a mixed bag; some offer funding to many students, others to a few, and still others to none.

Thanks for the encouragement. God willing, your words will come true.