LOR - who to choose?

misgengen

Hi, deadline is mid jan for my grad school apps. So I've already asked my supervisor who supervise my independent study project (an associate scientist and part time instructor at my school) and another prof who supervised me as a RA for LOR. I am wondering if the supervisor who supervise my independent study project count as an academic reference or am I better off with someone who I've actually taken a course with? I could ask my instructor who I've taken several essay courses with and did very well in both of them. She knew me pretty well as well. However, I think she is only a lecturer and not a professor (I don't even think she got a phD). I could also ask other profs that I've taken a course with, but most of them don't know me well.

What should I do here? Does it really matter?

Thanks!

Edited by misgengen

If you're taking a research based grad program, you want someone who can best speak to your ability to do research. Pick your supervisors. If it's course based perhaps you might consider choosing a professor who you took a course with, but typically those letters are weaker

So I asked a professor in which I am getting an A in his class. I did talked to him a few times outside of class but he flat out rejected me before I even get to the topic. I asked another professor that I didn't really talk to (Only went to his office hours once) to talk during his office hours. I asked him if I can schedule an appointment to talk about graduate school, and he said "sure, we can chat about it and what I can do on my ends.". I am now nervous because I don't know if he misunderstood me as asking him to be a potential grad school supervisor. He often mentioned how many students from this class went on to complete a research degree under him. I don't want it to be an awkward situation when I go in for his office hours. How should I approach this? Keep in mind he probably don't know me very well. I just plan to bring my CV and everything and chat about why I am going for this program and hopefully he can give me a positive reference letter

Just be direct. I had similar slightly awkward situations when I spoke with some of the professors from my undergrad, but they understood that I wanted to go somewhere else and that it's often good to do your graduate degree(s) in different schools

Thanks, ktel! I really appreciate your response, I finally have 4 ppl on board for LORs. Just submitted the basic info for my #1 choice. I made a mistake on not including my middle name on my app which means I prob. need to go to the school to fix it. And as I was freaking out about my mistake, I realized one of the LORs had already uploaded his LOR. I am both amused and horrified, I told him I am applying to this school but I have yet to tell him which program I am applied or why I am applying to that program. I don't know what on earth he wrote in that hour, prob. nothing tailored to my CV or interest!

P.S I thought prof are usually incredibly late in submitting LORs!