No Recommenders

lalabooks

I am freaking out. I asked a professor over a year ago to write a letter and she said "absolutely." I never received the letter. I followed up and she said she would mail it to me. I asked another professor who constantly thanked me for my participation in class...she never responded to my email. I just asked another professor. She thanked me for being a great student but she "reached her limit for letters." My situation: I am finishing up a pre-grad program. My bachelors was in an unrelated field so I had a year of prerequisites to take before applying to grad school.

I have great grades/resume/professional experience etc. I don't know what to do. I have two letters but without a third I can't apply. These professors are getting paid a ton of money and isn't it part of their job to write letters. Anybody in this situation?? Any advice?? Please help!!

I'm not sure they're getting paid "tons" of money, but it is a part of the job. Is there some reason they are trying to politely let you know they don't feel able to write favorable letters for you? You definitely don't want lukewarm letters, so if they are not completely supporting your application, you're better off without them. Not that that solves your problem. You might try the professor who never responded to your email again. Professors tend to be busy, and it could have just gotten lost. Good luck.

Professors do get payed (though not "a ton of money") and writing letters is part of the job. But they don't have to write a letter to just anyone who asks, they have to believe that they can honestly endorse the student's application. I would try to follow up with another email to both of the professors who haven't replied, or better yet if you can do it, try and stop by their office for a quick chat. Try to find out whether they just forgot or are too busy or whether they are trying to let you down easy. As emmm says, you don't want a weak letter that could hurt you.