Where Should I Apply?

I am currently a junior mathematics major attending a large state university. This large state university is regarded to be OKAY as far as academics go. It doesn't stand out as one of the best, but it isn't among the worst either.

I have had very consistent grades while in school, so I think I can project what my grades will be like next fall when I send out my applications (I'm just going to use my current numbers and assume I maintain my current grades).

GPA: 3.8

Math GPA: 3.9

For the next year I will be in an undergraduate research program, where the focus is on computation, and I will be using my school's high performance super computer. From what I can tell, most students in the program co-author a paper and travel to at least one conference. I am operating under the assumption that I will have my name on a paper. I will have been an undergraduate TA twice before I graduate, and maybe three times if I have some spare room in my schedule senior year and request it. I probably won't do a separate honors thesis as a senior, b/c the research program will suck up all of my spare time. I should get good letters of recommendation due to my participation in the research program.

I am looking at applied math/computational math programs. Where do you think I'll be competitive? The biggest thing holding me back I think, is not attending a prestigious undergraduate university.

A good strategy, which you've probably already heard, is to apply to a few "dream" schools, a few "safety" schools, and a few in the middle. I wouldn't worry about not coming from a prestigious undergraduate university. Your background seems really strong and your grades are good. Try to get as high as possible on the math section of the GRE. Make sure your letters are from people in the the applied math / computation field.

The good thing is that you're starting early. Try to talk with your professors to see what they look for in a graduate student. If your school doesn't have a graduate program in your field, try making contact at a nearby university or one of the "mid-level" schools you are interested in. Find out what they look for (besides the stuff they can read on your CV). Then get started on your personal statement. This is the one thing you really have control over. Be sure to have your mentors read your personal statement and take advantage of any writing-help programs your school has.

Finally, I would recommend you start planning to apply for the NSF fellowship. If you get this, you can pretty much go wherever you apply.

Hope that helps!