BS/MS Math then PhD.

mbc1993

Hi I'm a first time poster here.

I go to Emory University, and the math dept here offers a 4 year BS/MS in math. Here is the link: http://mathcs.emory.edu/programs-undergrad/deg-math-bsms.php

Emory's math dept is only ranked 63rd in the nation though. How would doing this look on an application to top Math Phd. programs compared to just doing a pure math major? Is this worth pursuing. I might also be interested in MFE programs; in terms of admission to those, would I be better off with the BS/MS or just a math major and lots of programming and finance courses?

Thank you

i dont see how any admissions comittee would look down on you for finishing an MS in 4 years! those courses are good preparation for a phd, but be prepared for the fact that you may find yourself repeating some courses if you go to a different school for a phd (even if that school claims to accept transfer credit).

Your undergrad doesn't matter really. You should be getting involved in as much research as possible and that will trump any MS. You should be doing REUs and get involved with research during the semester. You will be much more prepared that way as well.