How much does your POI interest in you help?

uhohlemonster

Is anybody able to speak to the relative influence on adcoms of the DGS and professors? Essentially, how helpful is it to have the DGS in your corner? (this might be a dumb question)

IMO, there are too many variables to offer hard and fast generalizations. Departmental politics, personal rivalries, and a given professor's state of mind during the deliberative process can upset the applecart at almost anytime.

If you are in a position where a PoI and/or DGS has said that she'll go to bat for you and you've done your best to submit the strongest application possible under the circumstances, do what you can to put your anxiety out of your mind. Focus on those tasks that require your immediate attention. Alternatively, you can work on the assumption that, come the fall, you'll be attending a program somewhere and thus spend the wait time developing skills you'll need where ever you are.

OK I know this is probably only me but some of these acronyms are killing me! And this is coming from someone whose background was an acronym lover's wet dream ... what does DGS stand for? Director of Grad. studies?

OK I know this is probably only me but some of these acronyms are killing me! And this is coming from someone whose background was an acronym lover's wet dream ... what does DGS stand for? Director of Grad. studies?

Yes.