Urgent : Waitlisted in 2009 at UCLA

david123

I was waitlisted in 2009 at UCLA, and after 2 years of work, I'm reapplying this year. This time i feel more confident as I've improved significantly my application. I'm applying to UCSD and UCSB as well. I informed my recommender that I was waitlisted at UCLA but it seems in the letters he wrote I was waitlisted at UCSB. Do colleges keep record of who all was waitlisted 2 years back ?

my question is how is it going to play out ? how to correct this error ? Would it affect my chances ? Should i call university and confirm it ?

please suggest. i'm very stressed out.

I'd actually be interested to hear opinions on this too.

My LOR writer sent my letters recently and passed me a copy of the general letter he sent to my schools a few days later. I discovered he mentioned my GRE scores as being a bit lower than they actually are. I thought I'd let it slide since the adcoms will obviously see my actual GRE scores but I'm not sure what I'd do in your case. I don't think there's much you can do unless you ask your LOR writer to write an updated letter and the school to update it, but I'm not sure how well that would go over on both ends...

I have no idea if this little mistake in the LOR matters at all, but I can only remind you that almost all of the online applications have a question about whether you previously applied - so they'll have the correct information.

UCLA will be able to see you are re-applying.

Perhaps you can ask your recommender to write an email to both UCLA and UCSB, explaining briefly that he made a tiny error?

I don't think it's a big enough deal to worry about. I'm sure they are used to letters where the writers have some details that are not quite right -- they could be writing letters for lots of students -- it's hard to keep us all straight, after all. Also, you waive your rights to see the letters (right?), so you shouldn't really even know what's in them. They have your records. They can figure things out. I think the only time you'd get in trouble is if something you were telling them directly was incorrect, especially if you are trying to give yourself credentials you don't have or hide something that reflects poorly on you.

No, I've included the correct information. My recommender was telling me that he has mentioned it, so I was just worried. Also, do adcoms have record of who was waitlisted 3 years back ? I mean, does it matter at all ? They must be looking at the application as if it's all together new ?

Please tell. Thanks so much again for your info.