recruitment weekend conflicts

socialpsych

So I seem to be in the (yes, I know, very enviable!) position of having two conflicting visit/recruitment weekends. :?

If you end up with this kind of conflict, how will you resolve it? Obviously, ceteris paribus, the school that is more important to you should get priority. But aside from that, how would you factor in:

- whether you have already been accepted or not? / your chances of being accepted?

- distance from where you are currently located?

- ...anything else you would factor in?

Argharghargh, so confused! Suggestions? Inspiration?

- Cost to travel to each school (unless both schools are picking up the tab)

- Which one has a better social scene (there are going to be off-campus activities, aren't there?)

- Weather (I'd probably go to a southern/western school over a northern school)

- Prestige

- Ease of travel (i.e. if school A is right near a large airport, it will be easier to travel to than a more remote school)

Do either of them offer the substitute of phone interviews, and if so, say how they will be weighted compared to in person ones? Some schools, especially ones that do not fund airfare, know it's unrealistic for students to visit everywhere, and make it clear they weight both equally, some offer them but it seems to put you at a disadvantage. You could contact the programs and say it may not be feasible (no need to say why) and ask if there are other options. If you don't go, you can always visit later if you get an offer.

Otherwise, I'd go with the factors I'm using to make my decision in general, mainly how much does the advisor and the program fit me? Location is a distant third concern for me (though I also didn't include schools I absolutely wouldn't go to because of that), but it's also something that can be important to see in person. So can all of it really, so I'm glad for the most part, my interviews don't conflict (had some close calls though!), but I have also found that I could learn a lot through phone interviews (some places do those first anyway).

- whether you have already been accepted or not? / your chances of being accepted?

why would you visit a school you hadn't yet been accepted at over one you already had? or am i missing something here?

i would also point out that, just because they're having recruitment visits that weekend, does not mean you have to visit that weekend. you can explain your situation and visit one of them some other time. it may even be better to visit when they are not totally geared up for recruitment, to see what the school is normally like. assuming that you are accepted at both schools, and both are offering travel funds, i would talk to the grad coordinator / dgs, tell them frankly what your situation is, and ask them when you might alternatively visit.

Hmm this has probably already been resolved, but I had the same problem and this is how I dealt with it. Luckily, I heard back from the school I liked more first, so for the second school, I just called them back (they called, but if they e-mailed or something, you could just e-mail back), and politely stated that I was still very enthusiastic about the program but had already agreed to an interview the same weekend, and asked if it was possible to go on an alternate weekend. My POI was generally understanding and eventually they worked it out for me to visit another day (although I will be the only one going that day).

So I seem to be in the (yes, I know, very enviable!) position of having two conflicting visit/recruitment weekends. :?

If you end up with this kind of conflict, how will you resolve it? Obviously, ceteris paribus, the school that is more important to you should get priority. But aside from that, how would you factor in:

Argharghargh, so confused! Suggestions? Inspiration?

Had the same problem. Fortunately, chronology sorted it out for me; I'd already committed to visiting one school on the 27th when the other notified me of my acceptance and invited me to visit on the same day. I ended up emailing them back and arranging to visit another day. Which is actually better anyway, because it means I can coordinate it with my spring break! w00t.