Contacting former/current students

NObama

I have spoken to a number of adcoms at schools, wondering whether they could introduce me to a few current students so I can ask a few questions.

I didnt get a response back. However, as most schools tend to list some of their students on their homepages, i decided to dig a little and found their LinkedIn's and Facebook's. Now my questions is, is it weird if I contact them through this manner rather then waiting for an introduction to be made by admissions?

Has anyone ever done this? How would you even begin?

I could really use some help with this! Thanks :D

As long as they are second years and not gonna be around when you get there, who cares right? I'm sure some will reply and some won't. I was part of student government and we sent a letter at my school to all the admits with our e-mails telling them they were free to.

I mean, if students get upset about having to ignore an e-mail, that isn't the kind of place you want to be.

If you reach out to students that will be there when you are there, that could be a little annoying. You'll seem like an over-achiever.

I had actually contacted them before I posted it and was mainly looking for reassurance I did the right thing! None have replied so I am a little worried, as most are still first year students. The reason I contacted them was because the application process would be fresher in their minds so they would be more helpful. I sent them messages on Tuesday night, and am still waiting.

Would anyone suggest to contact them again or simply bide my time and wait for an initial response? It would suck if they could not lend a hand to a potential classmate of theirs. Fingers crossed.

I contacted numerous schools asking to be put in touch with local alumni. I am in Istanbul, so that proved to be a problem, but a couple of schools were very gracious and alumni in the region. I was able to have a coffee with a couple, and ran in to another at a conference. All were great people and very encouraging, and showed me just how diversely qualified the students that are admitted are (gpa's, gre's, work history, etc). Unfortunately, this also just continued to strengthen my belief that after a point, a lot of this process is simple blind luck.

I wouldn't contact them again -- first year is tough. They might be too busy/dealing with their own issues to respond.After you get an admissions offer, you might be contacted by a student who has volunteered to answer questions. I'd wait until then.