Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2012 admissions

MSW13

Hello All,

I'm currently in that never ending limbo waiting to hear back about admissions. I've applied to all local universities, U of T, York U and Ryerson U. Does anyone know of the acceptance rates for these universities? Anyone else applied to the advanced standing? Also, does anyone know which social work stream is most/least popular?

I applied early and this waiting is FOREVER!! Cant wait for the spring to get here already!!! Happy waiting, everyone!! :)

• 1 month later...

I guess the good news is that York U already sent out a bunch of 'unsuccessful' letters. Because you didn't receive one, you can kind of assume that you are still in the game :)

Due to an unimpressive gpa, I am expecting across the board refusals so it has sort of taken the wind out of my sails. Already thinking about how I can better my gpa and try again next year.

If your gpa is good and you have at least some relevant experience, chances are good that you will be admitted/waitlisted to at least a couple of your choices. I think York admits so few that it is the hardest nut to crack. However, I dont believe that this in anyway means that it is the 'best' school for social work...

I actually have a question for you guys. What kind of experience do you have? Do you think experience counts for a lot or do they mostly look at your GPA?

I think it really depends on what your Gpa is. If you have a borderline one like a B where it is just enough to get in, then it is in your best interest to pad your application with strong experience. It doesn't have to be direct experience but it has to show that you have the skills and potential to do well in this field.

If you have an A average, you may be able to get away will less experience. But again, remember that plenty of folks with a B average have been admitted... I personally know quite a few of them. I also know someone who was admitted with a B or B+ average at UofT who had NO experience whatsoever. She demonstrated her potential through other means.

Really, you dont know what your competition is like. However, remember that there is only a small percentage of truly gifted students ahead of you. Most applicants are just like you--strong in some areas, not so much in others. So much of the selection process has to do with factors outside of your control. They obviously have an unwritten set of criteria that we are not, nor will we ever be, privy to. Things like spaces available, streams of practice, mix of students--all stuff you cant possibly know..

At least that is my take on it :)

I also applied to the 2 year MSW program at both York and U of T and have not heard anything back!! The waiting is awful.

I had a friend who applied to U of T two years in a row with a GPA in the high 80's and she did not get in but had no experience so I certainly think a combination of both is an asset.

Good Luck to EVERYONE!!! :)

HOPEFULLY we hear soon! If anyone does hear PLEASE post!

I'm waiting for UBC's reply to my Master of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) application.

I'm an international student and would really appreciate an early reply.

Is it normal for faculty staffs not to update the online application page status? I had submitted all paper documents in early december 2011 and the online status still remains as documents "not received". I panicked a little and email Faculty of Applied Science, Mechanical Engineering department to ask if they have received my paper documents.

A kind staff replied that they have received so many applications that they have stop updating the online application page.

I'm still waiting. Does anyone have an idea how long the wait is going to be for UBC's Faculty of Applied Science, Mechanical Engineering?

Thank you.

I had a friend who applied to U of T two years in a row with a GPA in the high 80's and she did not get in but had no experience so I certainly think a combination of both is an asset.

It seems that there are so many factors that determine who gets in/doesn't get in besides gpa and experience. As I mentioned before, one of my friends got in to UofT with a B (or B+, but I'm thinking it was B)average and no experience. Grades definitely help in terms of getting your application reviewed, but if you cannot demonstrate the appropriate 'fit', then it doesn't look like you will get in, regardless of how great your average is.

Good luck to everyone!

42 Days Until April 1st...which I'm thinking is the time where we are most likely to hear back from all of our schools, or at least start hearing back!

We can do it guys! A little over a month....let's get through this together! Good luck to everyone!

(Any tips on how to make the time go by faster?? lol)

• 2 weeks later...

It is AWESOME to see that they are sending out replies for the Advanced Standing program. I just wonder how long it is going to take for the 2 year program to hear back!!

Has anyone applied to the MSW program at Windsor, whether it be the one or two year program course? If so, any word back on them? Or anyone know when would should hear back?

Edited by Track_22

This wait is forever, isn't it??! I cant believe that I will be doing this again next year :wacko:

I'm sorry to hear about your applications :( I'm still waiting for the University of Calgary and Laurier's 2 year stream decisions.... *sigh*

I'm sorry to hear about your applications :( I'm still waiting for the University of Calgary and Laurier's 2 year stream decisions.... *sigh*

Thank you. I was lucky to find out early that I wasn't accepted. I'm still waiting for my official rejection from Ryerson but I know I wont get accepted for the same reason I wasn't accepted to my other two schools. I've already started my Plan B and hope to do get in next year.

The good news is that it is MARCH!!! You will find out in the next couple of weeks. I *think* they send out the acceptances/waitlists first then rejections. Good luck!! If it is really driving you mad, you can always call the school. I know that many people find that to be 'bad form' but if you are finding the wait unbearable, I would call and ask if decisions have been finalized. At this point in the game, I highly doubt it will do any damage to ask.

Btw, I just noticed that you have an 'unofficial rejection' from Ryerson. Did you call and they told you??

Edited by MSW12 hopeful

Thank you. I was lucky to find out early that I wasn't accepted. I'm still waiting for my official rejection from Ryerson but I know I wont get accepted for the same reason I wasn't accepted to my other two schools. I've already started my Plan B and hope to do get in next year.

The good news is that it is MARCH!!! You will find out in the next couple of weeks. I *think* they send out the acceptances/waitlists first then rejections. Good luck!! If it is really driving you mad, you can always call the school. I know that many people find that to be 'bad form' but if you are finding the wait unbearable, I would call and ask if decisions have been finalized. At this point in the game, I highly doubt it will do any damage to ask.

Btw, I just noticed that you have an 'unofficial rejection' from Ryerson. Did you call and they told you??

I'm glad to hear that you have a plan B in the works. I actually have a plan B that I'm excited about so if I don't get into grad school at least I have something else to look foward to.

My application to Ryerson was for an M.A. in psychological science (cognitive aging) and my potential supervisor let me know that my application would not be forwarded to faculty via the online system because my GPA is too low :(

I'm glad to hear that you have a plan B in the works. I actually have a plan B that I'm excited about so if I don't get into grad school at least I have something else to look foward to.

My application to Ryerson was for an M.A. in psychological science (cognitive aging) and my potential supervisor let me know that my application would not be forwarded to faculty via the online system because my GPA is too low :(

Re: Ryerson. I'm truly sorry to hear that. I also got rejected due to a low gpa. The cutoff is B and I have a B-. I was hoping my years of experience and strong supporting documents would have been enough to get me in but unfortunately, they dont even look at applications below a B. It is a bit hard to swallow that a percentage or two is the difference between being considered and not. But then again, I am glad that our schools have standards and stick to them.

Was that your first choice? Do you feel better about your chances at your other schools?

Ya I applied knowing that my gpa was 2% under the cutoff but I applied anyway because my supervisor really wanted to work with me so I thought I had a really great chance. I was really upset by her choice of words...she said that the department was only choosing high calibre students because they are trying to increase the prestige of the department. So she basically said that they avoid applicants like me because I'm not a high calibre student :unsure: It's a very silly situation because she really wanted me to be her student next year but the Chair of the department was pretty adamant that she not request me (and it's not like I don't know her work or her lab very well...I've been her Lab Manager since September). I was devastated but now I'm over it. If a department implies that I'm not good enough for them than I don't really want to be there anyways.

My first choice is Laurier (2 year MSW stream) but I'm having doubts about my chances. In past years they have gone with candidates who have an A- in their last 2 years and 2 years of paid human service experience...I only have a B+ and 1.5 years of human service experience (unpaid, part time). Most of my full-time, paid experiences have been in research.

I honestly feel like I will be rejected across the board (all 6 applications) but I applied for an online B.S.W degree through Dalhousie that I'm hoping I will get into. It's a 24 month long program that's done online (practicum done in my home city) with a summer visit to Dalhousie for a few weeks. If I get into this program and complete it then I can apply for advanced stream M.S.W's in a couple of years. I'm 25 now so my goal is to get a Master's degree by the time I'm 30. This plan B seems like it could work out for me...hopefully lol

What do you plan on doing to strengthen your application, if you don't mind me asking.

What do you plan on doing to strengthen your application, if you don't mind me asking.

Firstly, I felt the sting of her choice of words just reading what you wrote, I can only imagine what it must have felt like to hear it. In moments like these, it is important to remember that your Gpa is not a reflection of you as a person nor is it a true reflection of intellect. I dont mean to take away anything from people who do exceptionally well. It takes a lot to get the A's and that cannot be minimized. However, getting a B+ is hardly something to hang your head over and no one should make you feel that way. I'm glad you got 'over it'.

I would be surprised if you got rejected across the board. The results listed here and the stats of those who are accepted are such a small percentage of people actually admitted so I'd take what you read with a huge grain of salt. Obviously those who have the very impressive gpa's are the ones who will post them. Those who get in by the skin of their teeth would be less likely to make note of it ---that is just my opinion btw, no reseach to back it up! :)

For me, I have been out of school for a while and have well over a decade of direct Social Work experience. I got rejected from all 3 of my choices because my gpa is just barely below the B required for each school. My Plan B is to take courses to meet that requirement. As long as I do that successfully, I feel good about my chances next year. But having said that, nothing is guaranteed so I will just hope for the best!

Firstly, I felt the sting of her choice of words just reading what you wrote, I can only imagine what it must have felt like to hear it. In moments like these, it is important to remember that your Gpa is not a reflection of you as a person nor is it a true reflection of intellect. I dont mean to take away anything from people who do exceptionally well. It takes a lot to get the A's and that cannot be minimized. However, getting a B+ is hardly something to hang your head over and no one should make you feel that way. I'm glad you got 'over it'.

I would be surprised if you got rejected across the board. The results listed here and the stats of those who are accepted are such a small percentage of people actually admitted so I'd take what you read with a huge grain of salt. Obviously those who have the very impressive gpa's are the ones who will post them. Those who get in by the skin of their teeth would be less likely to make note of it ---that is just my opinion btw, no reseach to back it up! :)

For me, I have been out of school for a while and have well over a decade of direct Social Work experience. I got rejected from all 3 of my choices because my gpa is just barely below the B required for each school. My Plan B is to take courses to meet that requirement. As long as I do that successfully, I feel good about my chances next year. But having said that, nothing is guaranteed so I will just hope for the best!

Thanks for the supportive words. It boggles my mind that someone with over 10 years experience would get rejected because of a gpa issue. Arghhhhhh lol I think that if you take a few more courses to bump up your grades a bit then you have a really great chance of getting in next year.

Reading these posts are making me so nervous! You both seem like you had tonnes of experience, and if both of your averages were Bs...I think it's crazy that you didn't get in. I'd be happy getting in anywhere. Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from any schools yet (my boyfriend has been accepted to 2). I have a B+ average and a lot of experience working with children, special needs and other cultures...not exactly social work experience though. My biggest fear is getting rejected all across the board. Especially after reading about your experience and background, I would have thought you girls would definitely get in! What do you think my chances are??

Reading these posts are making me so nervous! You both seem like you had tonnes of experience, and if both of your averages were Bs...I think it's crazy that you didn't get in. I'd be happy getting in anywhere. Unfortunately, I haven't heard back from any schools yet (my boyfriend has been accepted to 2). I have a B+ average and a lot of experience working with children, special needs and other cultures...not exactly social work experience though. My biggest fear is getting rejected all across the board. Especially after reading about your experience and background, I would have thought you girls would definitely get in! What do you think my chances are??

Stephanie, please dont get nervous! You have above the minimum requirement plus you have a lot of experience! You have every reason to believe that you will get accepted to at least one of your schools. Although I have a lot of experience as a paid Social Worker, my average is a B-. They didn't even look at my application because I didn't meet the B minimum. I got my rejection letters from the Graduate dept, the Admissions Committee didn't even see it. They only forward on those applications to Social Work that meet the basic requirements. Sucks for me but I cant complain. It is a fair process. Also, my gpa is something that I can 'fix' and that is what I will do.

I think your chances are good! The adcoms know that people in school have limited opportunity to gain direct experience. You cant work as a Social Worker without a BSW degree. What you did is the next best thing, you worked with people! Remember, it isn't just your average that they look at. I highly doubt that the vast majority of applicants have A's. They dont. Your experience and statement can set you apart. Have faith! It ain't over yet. Best of luck :)

Edited by MSW12 hopeful