What to wear?

bdawg5152

I guess it depends on the campus. I just had this conversation with my professor since I will be visiting my top choice school (no interview, either) on Monday. He said business casual. I'm planning on wearing dress jeans, white blouse and sweater vest, nice shoes. Maybe a blazer if it's cold that day. It's important to look professional but also to be relaxed and comfortable. Anyway, that's the advice I got.

you are accepted, so in that sense the pressure's off. however, you may still be in contention for some sweet fellowships, without your even knowing it. business casual sounds about right, but more importantly, make sure to be relaxed, confident, and curious -- chat up as many professors and admin / current students as you reasonably can, without seeming to brown-nose. you never know. some who already have f-ship offers may back out, and they will remember those who looked sharp and seemed genuinely interested in the program. good luck.

On a related note:

I am torn about what kind of shoes to wear on an upcoming interview. I'm female. My ideal choice would be nice flats, but it's going to be very cold at the place I am going to and it's been snowing lots, so the ground is made up of slippery and disgusting slush. So I am leaning towards boots, but I'm not sure if that's too informal. On the other hand, if I do still wear flats, it might look a little ridiculous because of weather inappropriateness. Perhaps I am overthinking this...

I find that black boots - the kind w/the side zipper and the very chunky heel look decent and are extremely serviceable. While I lived in Boston, these kinds of shoes were actually my 'snow shoes' for walking to/from campus.

Wear the boots. In cold, snowy places boots are a way of life. It will be much worse if you have to squish around in wet flats or if (God forbid) you slip or fall! Not sure if you're planning on wearing slacks or a skirt, but boots would definitely not be a problem with a pair of nice pants, unless by "boots" you mean those giant furry Uggs.