Transcript arrival issues

MissH

Preface: Yes, I know how slow the mail is around the holidays but:

Anyone else have transcripts that seem to be taking their sweet time getting there? One school in particular seems to be taking its time (one program asks that I mail the transcripts/LORs to them together, so they are heading back to me). I called and had it re-sent, but argh.

Is

it uncouth to contact programs that do not have the info online to see if they have your transcripts?

The school actually sent your transcripts back to you because they weren't with the LORs?? That doesn't make sense. Then you had a new transcript sent to the school? huh? But no, it's not uncouth to call and ask if they've received your materials, especially materials that you have no control over because they're being sent by someone else. You're paying to have your application reviewed by the school, you're putting in all of the effort to complete it on time, and it is your responsibility to make sure everything has been received if the school doesn't indicate this to you at all before the deadline, they usually do though using their online application system, like a checklist or something. So call, email, or whatever you have to do to make sure everything is in order. Don't just assume and then after the deadline get socked with a "we didn't get everything so you're done" email.

All of my mail seems to be taking an exceptionally long time. I'm sure it's not just the holidays, since I was facing the same wait for my first packages sent out about a month and a half ago, but there is definitely something causing my packages to double or triple their arrival time. Over the summer I had materials sent to and from Singapore and the US between myself, my undergrad school and my family and it took 1 week from point A to point B. Right now I'm watching n one package I'm tracking that (so far) has taken 21 days and still hasn't arrived at the school to which I'm applying, despite buying a nice expensive stamp that assured me it would arrive in 6-11 days max. I'm pulling my hair out here, it's been stuck in the post office in the city my school is in for nearly a week with no movement!

The school actually sent your transcripts back to you because they weren't with the LORs?? That doesn't make sense. Then you had a new transcript sent to the school? huh? But no, it's not uncouth to call and ask if they've received your materials, especially materials that you have no control over because they're being sent by someone else. You're paying to have your application reviewed by the school, you're putting in all of the effort to complete it on time, and it is your responsibility to make sure everything has been received if the school doesn't indicate this to you at all before the deadline, they usually do though using their online application system, like a checklist or something. So call, email, or whatever you have to do to make sure everything is in order. Don't just assume and then after the deadline get socked with a "we didn't get everything so you're done" email.

Oh, sorry for the confusion, I meant the transcripts are being mailed to me, rather than the school.

No, it's not uncouth!

I wish people would get the notion out of their heads that you should avoid calling/emailing programs regarding your application and other information. It's what those people (who are usually not adcomms but just staff workers and even other graduate students!) are getting paid to do and part of what your application fee goes towards!

is this a status check page that says 'transcript not received' or some such thing? sometimes it takes the schools a few days (or weeks, or never) to say online that they have your transcripts. but then generally somewhere it says that they will contact you if they are actually missing them at some point. obviously I realize this doesn't apply to the ones being sent to you, but I hope you receive those soon!