Any PhD programs friendly for those with non-economic background?

socioeconomist

Hi!

My problem is that I want to study economics for PhD (something related to international economy, welfare, development or maybe behavioral economics) but my background can prevent this from happening (I'm going to apply the next year).

I have received my BA in sociology. Now I am doing MA in political science. Both programs were quantitatively-oriented with a lot of stats (so, I'm quite proficient in Stata, R and their application). The whole MA program, in fact, was about rational choice in politics, game theory and international political economy. I am also familiar with econometrics.

I have a huge research experience, working for various international laboratories, GPA of about 3.9, strong LORs from distinguished professors, decent GRE score. I have also done numerous scholarly writings and presentations (I also hope to have one article published in a good peer-reviewed journal). My motivation is huge (I believe that economists are doing better than other social scientists).

Still, I have nothing directly related to economics and no recommendation from an economist.

Are there any decent PhD program in Economics I could be eligible for? In MIT they say that they accept people with different background. Is it more likely that they consider me as an irrelevant candidate or vice verse as someone with a research potential?

Do you have any suggestions? I assume I should try to do something (research, paper, presentation) related to economics and somehow find at least one economist for a recommendation.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about not having an economics background. It will be most important for you to show admissions committees that you have a solid math background and quantitative GRE score. After all, modern economics is essentially applied math. Don't try to publish something in economics for the sake of publishing. Any scholarship or research experience will be looked upon favorably, especially if it is of high quality. You should get recommendations from people who know you well and can write glowingly about your drive and aptitude for research. Don't look for any old economist who will write you a letter -- they won't know you very well or be able to talk about research you've done with them and that will definitely show in the letter. It seems like you have a pretty solid general background for research, but if you're sure you want to do economics, I would recommend taking a couple of advanced math classes if you can. Also try to figure out more specifically what sub-field you want to study. Admissions committee are going to want to see more than general interest and a discussion of topics in that sub-field that will show you to be a serious candidate.

Thank you very much for your reply.

The main problem I see so far is exactly the lack of my math background. I had just one-year course in higher math and then several courses in stats. I had a lot of applied stuff, but no fundamental stuff. That's it. No opportunity for taking any more stuff now. Considering that I still have a very high GRE quant score, is it somehow possible to be admitted at least somewhere?

It is a problem. I'm not sure what level of school you are shooting for, but any lack of advanced calc, linear algebra, differential equations, or real analysis will probably put you at a distinct disadvantage for top programs. Having a high quant GRE score is important, but most top economic programs use that as just a preliminary condition for consideration of your application. You cold always apply to a couple and see what shakes out, but I would recommend applying to a range of schools and being especially careful about applying to schools that you seem a good fit for. For example, U Penn would probably be a bad choice because they place an extreme amount of importance on your math background and have a very math-heavy program that you may struggle to complete even if you were admitted. You might also consider applying to a couple of public policy schools for a Ph.D. since they are less math intensive. You won't graduate with a degree in economics, but you will still be able to study some of the topics you mentioned and take classes with the associated economics department. The Harris School at Chicago is one such opportunity.

No one can tell you if you'll get in somewhere. Even with the most careful preparation, where you get in and where you don't can be very random. Admissions decisions seem to depend a lot on who looks at your application on which day and what they think is important. Just do your best, start the application process early, and have a backup plan.

Public Policy / Administration sounds like a better fit for you.

You prepare for an Economics PhD by having a pseudo-math major background. It's also not just a barrier to entry -- if you don't have some fundamentals (calculus, ODE/PDE, real analysis, probability/stochastic theory, econometrics, etc.) you'll be at a real disadvantage during the coursework stage of the PhD and will actually be in real danger of failing the classes.

I basically agree with everyone above me. If you want to see if you are "cut out" to at least start a program, I recommend seeing if you can work through SImon and Blume's "Mathematics for Economists." It's a pretty well regarded text and it was what we used our first semester. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Economists-Carl-P-Simon/dp/0393957330

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are many programs friendly to non-economics, but none that are friendly to non-mathematics.

It also strikes me that you have a pretty fuzzy idea of what you want to study as there is a big difference in "something related to international economy, welfare, development or maybe behavioral economics" --- which won't sound very convincing to an ad comm reviewing your SOP. You might want to sharpen your focus. Most Ph.D. applicants to top programs have a pretty good idea what they want to pursue and you will be at a disadvantage.

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys. I totally agree that it could be hard without a math background even in the lucky case of acceptance. But, in reality I have no difficulties with stuff like "Mathematics for Economists" of SImon and Blume, I just don't have any records that I had a separate course of calculus etc.

Regarding my "fuzzy interests", it is just a matter of time and, of course, I will have a certain topic for my SOP.

So, let me put it this way: are there any econ programs among top-50 with no formal admission requirements of math courses? I feel like it is the only thing that stops me from applying...

Edited by socioeconomist

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, Emm189 said:

I am in the exact same boat as you. Would really appreciate any suggestions to overcome this math weakness on my resume. 

You'll need at least two courses in calculus (most people have three), a course in linear algebra, and as much statistics as possible. These are the absolute minimum requirements. Most successful applicants have real analysis also and differential equations. Without this you simply will not make it through the basic coursework - there really is no way around it.