what do you do when asked to list grad school preferences?

In one of the applications I am filling up (let's call this SCHOOL A), one question asks to list down in order of preferences the graduate schools I am applying to, including that school. However, SCHOOL A will probably my fourth choice out of the four schools I am applying to. What do I do? If I tell the truth and rank it as fourth do you think that will hurt my application? If I put SCHOOL A on top of the list, I think it will be quite obvious that I'm lying since one of the schools I'm applying to is an Ivy league school and SCHOOL A's program is relatively new compared to the other more established ones.

yes, I'm thinking of not filing it up... some of the apps I've filled up asked for the other schools which I am applying to but none asked for rankings...I'm afraid that If I list down everything and ranked it last they might give the slot to some other applicants who have them as their top choice...

That is a seriously unfair question. They're asking you whether you'll enroll if accepted. I think it violates the spirit of the Council of Graduate Schools Resolution that says (basically) that applicants shouldn't have to make commitments before April 15.

I suggest putting that school as high on the list as you believably can (if you're reaching for a top-top school, it might not be credible to put it below their school). Preferences can change for any number of reasons, after all.

I had an application that asked me to list my top schools in order and said something like "Order will not affect your chances of admission, but will determine how many students we accept." It was strange. I put it as my first choice on the list because I didn't have much of a preference at the time.

I applied for PhD programs and left it blank. I doubt it is a mandatory question since that information isn't really needed to evaluate your application. It's silly to make you rank schools. I know my rankings change all the time as I get to meet the professors and get a feel for each department.

I figure leaving that question blank can't hurt you. If you fill it out, honestly or not, people can interpret things the wrong way.

2 out of 4 of the schools that have offered me interviews have been interested in this information. They asked me flat out over the phone, where did you apply? I was happy to list my schools and provide a little context as to my choices when they asked. I feel like they had a much better grasp of my thought process vs. just seeing some names on the application.

I also had to do this for one app. I agree with an earlier poster, my preferences are variable and on that day at that time that school was my top choice. On this app it also said my preference order had no bearing on my admission, but come one, why else would the question be asked on an application for admission? Also, I think a lot of lower tier schools would believe that you want to go there over an ivy league school. These people are convinced that they are interesting profs in interesting programs. I would just be ready to justify such an ordering in an interview if need be.

What a question! I am fine with naming other schools I applied to, but not ranking them, especially because they're not ranked in my mind. I have three or four top choices that are too different to choose between at this point in the process, so I just wouldn't fill that out.

I ranked the school that asked first, then randomly put two of the other schools to which I applied. The application said that this question had no bearing on the admissions decision...but then why ask?

Additionally, when I had an informal phone 'interview' with one of my schools, they asked which programs I applied to. When I told them, the grad coordinator said "oh, so all really good schools." I wasn't sure how to take that...

In one of the applications I am filling up (let's call this SCHOOL A), one question asks to list down in order of preferences the graduate schools I am applying to, including that school. However, SCHOOL A will probably my fourth choice out of the four schools I am applying to. What do I do? If I tell the truth and rank it as fourth do you think that will hurt my application? If I put SCHOOL A on top of the list, I think it will be quite obvious that I'm lying since one of the schools I'm applying to is an Ivy league school and SCHOOL A's program is relatively new compared to the other more established ones.

Maybe it's an honesty test and they want to see if you put the better programs above them :?:

Probably not, though. :)

What a question! I am fine with naming other schools I applied to, but not ranking them, especially because they're not ranked in my mind. I have three or four top choices that are too different to choose between at this point in the process, so I just wouldn't fill that out.

I don't think the programs I am applying to conduct phone interviews. :D Anyhow... I'll just put it on top of the list

• 2 weeks later...

I was asked almost the same question, but was not required to actually name the other schools to which I am applying. The application required that I state where that school fell in my "top four." It was definitely number four, but there was no way I would have said that. I also didn't want to run the risk of seeming like a fake when I listed it in first place. So, I opted for slot #2. Not a highly scientific decision-making method, but it's what I did.

I was never asked to *rank* my list of schools, but I did provide the names of all the other schools I applied to. A possible explanation for how ranking would not affect admission, but *would* affect number of students admitted:

If you are a *highly desirable* applicant, clearly you will also be highly desirable to better programs. However, a lesser program would never deny you admission for that reason alone! New programs are especially interested in attracting top talent, so if they see that they are ranked fourth on your list, they won't be dissuaded from admitting you. They will, however, recognize that there is a strong possibility you will refuse their offer of admission in favor of a better school. So your honest ranking allows them to prepare for this possibility either by admitting students further down their list or by maintaining a larger waitlist to account for the likelihood of your decision not to enroll in their program.

Yes, it seems horrible and unfair, but ultimately I think it's always best to be honest in these situations. State schools especially realize they need to compete for top students, and if they think there are other contenders for your affection, they can approach the circumstances of your admission with that in mind (they might, for instance, offer you a better funding package upfront, notify you of admission at an earlier date, or make sure they have extra candidates, who are perhaps less thoroughly brilliant but also more likely to come, lined up to fill your spot).

If they want you, they want you and will cling to every possibility of having you. They are well aware of their "rank" in academia and expect you to be equally aware. On the off-chance that all your better programs reject you, they would be stupid *not* to be waiting in the wings with an offer of admission.

(In fact, telling them dishonestly that they are your one and only is a bit mean! If they want to accept you, they'll accept you either way, but if you lied to them about your preferences and later reject them, they'll feel burned by the process. Any connections you might have made to faculty there