Applying to schools for a second time??

lalabooks

Does anyone know how a school handles applicants applying for a second time? I know some applications asked if I had applied to this school in the past. I probably shouldn't be thinking about it yet but I'm wondering this in case I do not get accepted anywhere and have to apply a second time around. Do schools look at applicants differently if it is the second time applying or do they view the applicant as new? Does it negatively affect chances of admission? Again, I just sent my apps in for the first time so I should not be so pesimistic, but I can't help wondering!

I'm just throwing in my 2 cents here but I suppose if you answer "yes" to the "have you ever applied" question they might go back and take a look at your first application, if, and this is a big if, they keep that kind of thing on hand. I don't really know if they do that and how long they keep it all. But if they don't keep any record of you than I guess it would be pointless to ask that question on an application. So if you answer yes they might compare your old and new applications. They obviously would want to see something that indicates that you've worked to improve on some aspect of the application. If you get rejected and plan to apply again you would want to make sure that you ask for feedback on your application and for suggestions on what to do better the next time rather than just handing in the very same application and hoping for a different result. I don't know if applying for a second time necessarily has a negative impact on your chances, if anything, a second application supplemented by relevant experiences or improvements shows commitment and that's certainly something admissions committees look for. But hopefully you'll get in somewhere the first time!

In addition to the excellent answer in the first comment, I've been told that schools look favorably upon applicants who are reapplying after being waitlisted the first time.