understanding the Admission Decision

tomahok

on my acceptance letter to university of michigan they wrote " All types of support will provide similar funding with a stipend of $2,200 a

month, plus tuition, fees, and health benefits."

does this mean that i would actually get $2200 and that there is a tuition remission or it means that they take the tuition off that?? in other words what am i left with?

Rest assured that your fees and tuition will be borne by your department/advsior's grant and the 2200 is your income(taxable :C) to do whatever you want with(probably live very cheaply but you get the drift.)

Congratulations. You have just won a free ride through grad school. And been told of it this early! Awesome.

well thank you very much, but nothing comes as a free ride cause i busted my ass to achieve this :-) i am amazed though at how early they gave me an answer and i am still waiting on other schools to respond.

do you have a good estimation of how much would i be left with after tax?

Tax depends on the rest of your situation- donations, deductions, dependants, etc. $2200 a month is roughly $26400 per year. Assuming no dependents, you'd probably pay around 4-5k in taxes per year. You could check out one of the online tax calculators to get a more exact estimate.

Congratulations. You have just won a free ride through grad school. And been told of it this early! Awesome.

IME, even the most generously funded fellowships an institution has to offer require reviews at the end of each academic year. That is, the 'free ride' must be earned each and every year.

@Jadilicious: I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound rude with that. Poor choice of words on my part. What I meant is that you don't have to pay your way through school hence my term "free ride". I'm sure you worked really hard for this admit and you totally deserve it. Not trying to indicate anything otherwise. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

@Sigaba: I was going on the assumption that given the OP was admitted this early, he/she must be sort of a superstar so I assumed that clearing the review wouldn't be too much of an issue. :D. But very valid point.