Undergrad course prereqs - chem/phys?

kkari

Hi all! I'm interested in applying to graduate schools in Neuroscience, but after snooping around some program websites, I've found that most programs require undergrad courses in Chemistry and Physics. I haven't taken any yet, and am definitely unable to complete said courses by the time I graduate from undergrad. What are the chances that I would still be a competitive applicant, or should I take time off to complete these courses?

What is your undergrad major? Most biology type majors, that I've heard of at least, require a few chemistry courses and at least one or two physics courses, which would fulfill the requirements for graduate programs in most biology fields.

If you aren't a biology/science major, then perhaps you should contact some of the departments and see how they consider applicants with different backgrounds. I know I've read on at least one biology program website that said program welcomes people with different academic backgrounds and will allow students to make up courses during their first year as a graduate student.

But again, you should look into each program and try to find out if they require certain core courses for admission.

Maybe someone in neuro will be more familiar with the standard requirements for admission and can give you better advice!

It might be very difficult to be a competitive applicant in Neuroscience if you've never taken Chemistry. On top of that, you said most programs *require* these two classes, which could very well mean they won't even look at your application unless you have taken them. In that case, you would absolutely benefit from taking time off to complete the courses.

If the programs offer some flexibility (which would require you to dig further or call up the programs), you could still apply. But this may also depend on your current undergrad major. For example, they may offer a little bit of leniency if you're a biology major but you may be completely out of luck if you're an economics major. In my field of Environmental Science, especially since students come from a variety of different backgrounds, students admitted with deficiencies must make them up before a certain date (usually the end of the first semester) with no credit offered.

I am a biology/psychology double major, but my school does not require taking any chemistry or physics classes to complete a biology major (which I once was glad about, but now is much to my annoyance ;) ).

As a neuroscience applicant, I would definitely recommend having 2 semesters of general chemistry, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and a general chemistry lab and an organic chemistry lab. I think physics is less important but I would still recommend having at least one semester. There are some post-bacc programs that could give you the opportunity to take these classes. Alternatively, you could apply to grad school in psych, which would probably not require all of the above.

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to? It surprises me that a biology department doesn't require any chemistry; I know in my department we actually have to take more chemistry courses than bio for the bio major.

As a neuroscience applicant, I would definitely recommend having 2 semesters of general chemistry, 2 semesters of organic chemistry, and a general chemistry lab and an organic chemistry lab. I think physics is less important but I would still recommend having at least one semester. There are some post-bacc programs that could give you the opportunity to take these classes. Alternatively, you could apply to grad school in psych, which would probably not require all of the above.

Out of curiosity, what school do you go to? It surprises me that a biology department doesn't require any chemistry; I know in my department we actually have to take more chemistry courses than bio for the bio major.

I'm surprised too. I'm a a biology minor and I had to take two chemistry classes in addition to the chemistry classes already required for my environmental science major.