Sending updates on application to programs

gellert

What qualifies as something important enough for which you'd want to update your CV on your application to Ph.D. programs?

Obviously you'd want to let them know if an article that had been under review became accepted, but what about something like beginning a TAship at a college class in your field? (Specifics: I'm TAing the introductory class in my field this semester, which entails leading recitations/discussion sections.)

Thanks!

Hi gellert and everyone, I got an article recently accepted for publication. For one of the school I submitted my application in October, so by that time I hadn't even submitted my manuscript for review yet. In my apps to the other 3 schools I mentioned an article under review. Now as my article is accepted, should I email to the schools and tell them that? I have been thinking and I thought maybe I should just leave it there... The adcom is perhaps extremely busy atm. Will a paper add anything significant now to my application? What do you think? Thanks a lot :).

^Yes, DEFINITELY send an update. That sort of thing is uber-important and could definitely mean the difference between waitlist and accept, or between accept and ACCEPT RIGHT NOW WITH ~ALL THE FUNDING!~

Congratulations on your paper getting accepted! :D

I just recently completed my Masters program , but at the time of application had only the transcripts for 3 of the 4 semesters. I got the transcript for the final semester last week and have sent it to all the programs I am applying to. Just figured that, if they have already made a decision, they might a)totally disregard the new transcript,if they are sure they don't want me on their program B) Add my final grade to the list of reasons of why I deserve to be admitted , so either way it could'nt hurt! I am hoping that they will understand that applicants send them updates , not with the intention of adding to their workload , but just to better our own chances of getting in!

^Yes, DEFINITELY send an update. That sort of thing is uber-important and could definitely mean the difference between waitlist and accept, or between accept and ACCEPT RIGHT NOW WITH ~ALL THE FUNDING!~

Congratulations on your paper getting accepted! :D

Thanks a lot gellert! I just emailed the schools to notify them of my accepted publication and asked if I could send an updated list of publications and CV now. I'm not very sure what to do in your situation, but if you think it adds some weight to your application then as gradapp2012 said, letting them know at least should not hurt your chance. Perhaps as I did, you can email them with the updates and ask if it's ok to send your updated CV...

Edited by veele

I am currently in a Master's Program and just had a semester with a 4.0 GPA, raising my overall GPA to a 3.71. I definitely sent that along to all the universities who received my transcripts before the semester was over. I am sure it can only help me that I had a perfect semester.

I just enrolled in a class at a local community college, and wondered about whether to report it as well. After making sure none of the schools would penalize me for not reporting it, I decided to save it. It's a strength, but it's not going to tip the scale. I figured it might be better to bust it out during interviews, as a sort of update that shows I've still been actively pursuing my education.

I also kind of worried about appearing like I only enrolled to beef up my app, rather than because I realized it as a valuable skill that I might not be trained in as part of the graduate curriculum. Maybe that's neurotic.